Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure what the next step is!

helpformomhhelpformom Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and hoping that someone out there can push me in the right direction. My mother who is 65 years old had 3 surgeries starting 4 years ago for a severe case of scoliosis. She pretty much her hole back fused from her lumbar spine to the bottom of her cervical spine. This was necessary to stop the scoliosis from crushing her organs, so we have accepted that. Unfortunately she now has severe nerve compression that 2 doctors have told us they cannot decompress because the hardware is in the way and they cannot see exactly which nerves are being compressed. My mother can no longer walk and is now using a wheelchair. She has either extreme pain and/or numbness in both her legs and feet any cannot bear any weight. Her legs are like rubber. Pain medication relieves the pain temporarily and deep body massage helps for a few hours but does not help with her! Does anyone have any suggestions?

• I just wish I had suggestions. You as well as she have gone through so much. I hope someone is able to give you some insight.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. your mother is so very lucky to have you by her side. i wish i had some wonderful answers for you but i do not.. have your tried physical therapy as a way to get back the use of her legs? this is something you might want to look into!! this would seem a good place to start.. please remember to take good care of yourself as well.. these times can be really hard on you as caregiver! good luck! stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • So sorry to hear about your mother. She is still a young woman to be in such dire shape. Thank goodness she has you by her side for help and support.

I don't have any answers but am just wondering if she has seen "different" doctors? Has she seen orthopedics, neuros, neurologists, etc? Maybe someone different could give her different answers.

I myself am here looking for help with my questions.