Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie in pain

kathyl15kkathyl15 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I hope to find some people who know more than I do about back pain. Two days ago I had a microdisctomy, and the pain is apx 5 times worse than my worst day prior to surgery. I can understand the incision pain and muscle weakness around it. It's the pain radiating to my left calf within one minute of standing. I don't understand that if he "unpinched my severly pinched nerve" than I should be better right? I only had pain(spasms, tingley and numbness) in my thigh when I stood still for about 10 minutes. Any Ideas?

• as a veteran of pain {16 years} i can say that it will pass you are in the early stages or recovery and you will be in more pain for a few weeks even months .but its should start to settle down .ask your doctor for some stronger pain killers .on the black side ..you may need revision surgey as the years roll on .normally you get about ten years from a back repair.{i am on my third!.good luck .you may want to try a good TENS unit the acticare is very good
    tony {uk}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi Kathy. 2 days after the procedure is way too early to tell the outcome. If they pulled the disc part off the nerve it can agrivate the nerve and it will hurt and needs time to calm down. And with some luck it will subside and hopefuly it will be ok. As long as no serious damage was done to the nerve or no fragments were left behind it should be ok. But give it some time even months if nerve was slightly damaged then it can take months for that to heal or regenerate itself.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Welcome to spine health! I totally agree with Alex and Tony. It is so early in your recovery, but I can completely relate to how you are feeling. I had a two level microdiscectomy/decompression 3 and a half weeks ago. I have my ups and downs(more downs unfortunately)but it really does take time.For the first week or two you have the added pain from the incission and from being knocked,pulled and prodded during surgery. With your nerve being impinged it is very angry now and trying to heal.
    I have had to have my meds upped recently due to the pain. Although one of the goals from surgery is to cut back or get off meds, sometimes we need more during the healing stages. Stay on top of things med wise and don't let the pain get ahead of you. Try taking short frequent walks, resting in between.

Are you on anything for nerve pain(lyrica, neurontin, cymbalta)? Or any muscle relaxers? What level did you have your discectomy, and do you have any other troublesome levels in your back?

Please hang in there, keep posting, and update us on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had the micro on my lower spine and I can remember waking up in recovery and my leg hurt so much more then when I went into surgery. My first thought was "what have I done, this surgery was a big mistake". I voiced those exact words to the nurse and she told me, the nerve was compressed pretty bad and the pain you are feeling is the nerve waking up. She was right after about a week things began to calm down and I now only have occasional sciatica. Good luck and give it time
  • Hi Kathy!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry that you're having so much pain. All of the suggestions everyone else has made are awesome! I haven't had that procedure, but I'm sure - as with any surgery (particularly spinal) - that there is alot of internal inflammation still. When you've got alot of swelling inside, it's bound to aggravate the nerves for a while.

You're body is trying to heal from a pretty invasive surgery and time is a huge factor. Of course, if the pain is really bad, maybe call the doc and ask him if this is normal and such.

I wish you luck and please keep us posted!
  • I agree with everyone else...give it time. I am 3 weeks out from my thoracic discectomy, and the first couple of days had me wondering what the heck I was thinking. The pain was definitely worse than pre-surgery. Now, I am happy to report that every day is getting easier and easier. Today I was able to go all day without taking anything for pain! I'll probably take something before bed, as the pain is starting to set in. But this is HUGE considering the amount of pain I was in after my surgery. So the moral of the story is: Give it TIME! Gentle hugs to you!
  • Hello Kathy,

Ditto to everything the other's said, just take it slow and yes, maybe try something for the nerve pain, It will get easier! :-)