Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

zigazziga Posts: 143
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi! I am new to this forum, I had cervical fusion c5-c6. I remember I use to read this post before doing the surgery, I always thought I was not going to have it. Well it happened, and so much wish I had aproach this in a different matter. At the beginning I think I handle it well but I started to get obsess as the pain came back. YES, I had a period free of pain, but then it came back. But this is another story.

This are my questions:

Do you feel that your ROM have change the way you move all your body, have change the way you talk with others? For me I feel always concious of how my head move. It hurts after the surgery when finally my neck was not hurting. My neck is always pupping and in pain.

Can you kiss, cuddle and have intimacy as you use to do? I am afraid of flirting because I don't feel confident when I move my head, I feel like in some other body, I prefer the pains I had before this. I think the surgery could have waited.

I feel less spontanous, scared to go out, speak with people... and I use to be very sociable.

How do you feel when you hear music?? For me is like transporting me to a place where I use to move freely, fluently and without fear.

I am 35, I see that other people get along with this surgery, but I hear so many that don't. I have a friend that was told to get an operation but she waited a lot of pain for two years and it resolve.

What I am really dialing is with the impossibiolity of time traveling.

Everybody telling you is in your head, and comparing you to people in wheelchairs, or without legs, cancer that move along. I swear this people used to be inspiring to me at other moments in my life but no I admire them but it makes me sad when I don't feel understanding but just pressure so one move on.

My head can stop comparing myself with my old self. I am so confused in how to start over. I can' belief I had a 4 year long distance relationship, now we are broke mostly because the distance and the condition... So I am 35 and been having intimacy with fear ufff if I would have known...

I am just in shock, how life changes like this. The worst part is that I fighted for two years I was sometimes near the light and this have thrown me in a darker place than before. I lost my house, my frieds look at me different, my boyfriend, my relationship with outdoors, dancing, music. I feel trapped in this body, I wish so much I could just go back.

Hated medication, now I am taking klonopin, and surviving. I just one to feel my neck okkkkkkkkk. I had an episode of pain in my legs, I think I preferred that, or pain in my joints... is the change of motion, the stiffness is like a mind body separation. Feel so out of my habitat.

Wondering if anybody feels the same?

• Hi my name is Tina
    I had a C3C4C5C6 fusion 4yrs ago now and i felt the same as you ,just wanting my old life back and people do look at me different now l walk with a stick and have alot of pain and nothing works like it used too.
    But i really believe i am a stronger person now i have copped with the life changes i was 32 when i had my opps and my son 7 and we got through it together and i lost alot of friends but i have made new ones who do like me .
    Things get easyer to deal with,i dont have that feeling every day now that i want my old life back, because i have became used to my new one.
    I hope things get back to the way you want them.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this sinful world
    as it is, not as I would have it;
    Trusting that He will make all things right
    if I surrender to His Will;
    That I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with Him
    Forever in the next.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. As you look around the forums you will find many whom have gone through changes, including myself. Some for the good some for the bad. One thing in life, for sure is things will change, and you either go with them or resist. No, it is not easy living a life daily of pain. The one thing I refuse to do, is stop looking or working towards creating a better life for myself. I like many here get tired of all the needles, medications, surgeries and so forth, but at least I know where working for a solution. Do nothing is just not within me, plus it gets me no closer to feeling better. But I do understand your frustrations with the situation. Trust me this is coming from someone who has gone through cervical spine surgery 6 times, and still in a great deal of pain.

As you move longer on this journey, you begin to fill your tool box, of dealing with chronic pain, with more tools, to help out. You also begin to accept the fact that pain is going to be in your future, but you will continually seek a resolution to the pain. You will learn in your better moments of the day you have to make the best of them. I, like you, was a very social person, always on the move. But, now that is not a possibility. But something else happened along the way in that process, I learned to be more appreciative of things, and people. Before I took it all for granted, now I truly enjoy the smaller things in life. I also came to realize that as everyone gets older they will slow done as well, while more gradual and not the sudden halt I came too, eventually some distant time we will become equal once again. But I will keep trying to look for away to equalizer it faster.

I don't do the guarding, sounds as though your referring to. I am not afraid to do things for fear of the injury, most things are limited by own body movements preventing them from being done. For example reaching for something is not going to happen. my arms won't allow it. The the simple act of turning my head, is not going to happen either or looking up. So I sense I look outward at things I just think well atleast I am prepared for what is ahead on the road.

My point is it takes a long time to be comfortable with the fact of living in chronic pain. Somedays are easier than others, that just the nature of the beast. As far as the friends whom aren't around any longer, well I have those too, and they really were not good friends to begin with, in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully your family is supportive, if not look here on Spine-health and there is a letter to normals which explains chronic pain post it on your ice box. If your on a social networking site, post it in your notes section and hopefully it will explain to everyone what your dealing with.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. ONe thing for sure is here everyone understands.
  • Thanks to all for your answers. First sorry for my writting. I read what I wrote and some things were not clear. Right now I am very tired, so I will write more tomorrow. Tamtam, ufff, I wonder how old you were when this happened? I also admire how brave all of you are. I want to know if you think you had good surgeons, I don't know if I can ask this hear. Also I wish to know if you wish to wait out the pain instead of having surgery.

****Does it hurts to kiss another person for you people?

I am sorry I read so much before this. I read a book, I don't know if I can post it hear, I have to read the rules again of the forum, about a neurosurgeon who says that most of the time herniated disc resolve in 10 years. He is not supportive of narcotics, because it takes away your own endorphins, he suggest walking and standing bikes to oxygenate the disc. I know sometime surgery is a must, especially when you are loosing strenght, when your muscle is dying... But wowwwwwwwwww I am in such a shock of how many people end up with more pain than before. I read about a Dr. that believes that the body produces ischemia as a response to repress anger, and he has a program that have work for some. I read his books, and they made a lot of sense. There are so many testimonials of people that use his technique and it works. I started it and my pain was getting better, but as more stressors came to my life it got worst.

I know I have to continue with my life, I know, I know, is that I used to be so hyper, so huggable, I worked with communities and with physical games, I wanted to continue contemporary dance movement after my master in social community psychology. I just think the body has an incredible capacity of healing. And also I think that maybe laminotomy is an option that is not offered to much in the states. I have an Italian friend that had laminotomy in Italy and the doctor told him, I am not going to fuse you because you will be back for more. They wnted to make him two fusions where I live. Well he is now sky surfing, and pain free. He did have pain in his arms for a long time before surgery.

I had a scary MRI, central hernia compressing the spinal cord, but it was getting smaller :-(, and my neurologist told me that surgery coul be worst. she says this operations are 30% you get better, 30% stay the same, and 30% get worst. She is a friend and has pain in her shoulder blade that radiates to her arm, she says she knows she has something but she won't get operated. I guess she receive a lot of visits of people whi get worst. Wow, and when I see all your post I can just see myself in the future with another surgery, unless maybe I put my neck muscles very strong.

I am sorry if I am not to cheerful, it has been heavy, I have read that only 1% of people with a herniated disc will have surgery. Neurosurgeons, and orthos say from 80% to 90% you will get better. Stadistics are from where? for whom? what do they consider is being better?

Also I wander this, if there is any experiment where there are people with herniated disc that decide not to operate, then they have an accident, a fall, car accident, what would happen? The experiment would be very weird, but it would be something like a patient get to the doctor that suggest preventive operation, and the patient decides not to have it. The doctor ask if he would like to participate in an investigation, mri would be run yearly to see his progress, and also if the person have an accident he/she would report it to check if their were changes. The control group people without herniated disc that have accidents and what happens. I just really want to know how vulnerable is a person with a herniated disc. The doctor from italy said you need a very strong hit in your head to change your disc.

What I wonder is it really worth it to protect your spine because you could have an accident, when you don't have so much pain, or you have pain that could resolve in a serious of years. An accident coul be fatal to anyone.

Don't get me wrong obviously I wish I had waited, but I know people that have get better with surgery, people that have get worst, people that have get better without surgery... is a mystery sometimes, because a lot of pain coul come from your muscles and tendons. Nerve also learn to reroute messages, sometimes oooooooooh wow this is to much information. And I aid I was tired.

Thank you!