Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor switching husband from Oxycodone to Methadone

JEMJJEM Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
My husband suffers from chronic pain. Terrible diabetic neuropathy in his feet. He also has back pain. He had a spinal fusion done four years ago. He also had arthritis just about everywhere.

His doctor has him on Oxycodone 10mg,3 to 4xday. It seems to help him. He's also on diabetic meds and Lyrica. He hasn't had any problem with this. He's been on this regime for close to 10 years, and with this doctor for three years.

When he saw his doctor the other day, his doctor changed his medication to Methadone 10mg, 2x day, and one 10mg Oxycodone a day. He told my husband that the Oxycodone was bad for his liver and kidney. I don't know why he just doesn't prescribe it to him without the Tylenol.

I suspect something else is going on here. We have the same doctor, and I'm also a chronic pain patient, much worse than my husband. I've got cervical spine pain, arthritis and I'm disabled with Fibromyalgia.

He prescribes Methadone to me. I hate it, but Oxycontin stopped working, so I had no choice. It makes me tired, made me gain weight with less eating, makes me sweat. I also take Oxycodone for breakthrough.

We both signed a pain contract, and we're very compliant patients. My husband does not want to take Methadone. He feels it's too heavy-duty, and I agree. He's semi-retired at 68. He's up on ladders, etc, and needs his wits about him.

Why would a doctor change his pain regimine when my husband wasn't complaining? I don't buy that he's afraid of organ damage. He rarely sends him for bloodwork. If he wants to send him every three month, he can do it. Does my husband have a say in any of this? He supposed to start this week, and he really doesn't want to. He sees how Methadone makes me nod off, and how it's hard for me to stay awake for a movie.

This doctor is skittish about drugs. Last year, he wanted to cut me down. It wasn't until I broke down and cried in his office that he changed his mind. I never complain about my meds. I tell him everything is fine. I know this pain game. I have suicidal pain. It's terrible how good honest people are treated when chronic pain enters their life. I'm 53, and took my first narcotic when I was 48. Fibro hit me like a ton of bricks.

Sorry so long. Just trying to get all the facts in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Can he call the doctor and tell him that he doesn't want to commit to such a strong medication like Methadone?

• Did your husband express to the doctor his concerns and feelings about Methadone?

Keep in mind that we all react differently to the same drugs. It is possible that your husband will tolerate it quite well.

I had a doc who was prescribing me a ton of Percocet and when I went to a different doc who is a pain management doc, he freaked. He had several personal experiences where people he knew had passed away from liver toxicity from the acetaminophen in Percocet. So I wonder if it is possible that your husband's doc has recently had a bad experience or knows a colleague who has recently had a bad experience in regards to liver toxicity.

Do you go with your husband to his appointments? My husband and I both go to each others appointments, that way the docs will ask the spouse if they have any concerns that weren't addressed.

Keep us posted.

• I've been on oxycodone for over 5yrs 120mgs/day atm. My PM Doc switched me to Methadone 60mgs/day to try it out. I stayed on it for 4 months. A couple of months ago I had to be admitted into the hospital for about 10/days and they had me on dilaudid 2mgs every 2 or 3 hrs can't remember plus oxy for break through pain. Even with the above I still had withdrawals from the methadone. When I went back to my PM I had them taper me off and put me back on the oxy. The methadone worked but IMO its bad stuff. I'm actually prescribed roxicodone so it has no tylenol they don't make a 10mg but Oxy IR is the same thing and it comes in a 10mg.