Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months post-op: C5-C7 fusion - GREAT News!

bay2000bbay2000 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I see so many posters out here wondering whether they should go through surgery, are scared of surgery, wondering if they do have sugery how long things will take, and varying combinations thereof.

I wanted to share my updated experience and current condition. I had two severly herniated discs that was causing severe arm pain. I endured a nerve decompression (triple foraminotomy) two years ago and apprently it didn't "take." My doc decided to once and for all deal with this by doing a multi-level fusion by inserting a titanium bracket he designed himself that's used nationally by other spine surgeons.

Surgery was 3/30. Not too painful, just needed some water ice and one night in hospital. Wore a soft neck brace for 9 days post-op. At my 2-month it was borderline fully fused. I began to work out and hired a physical therapist to return me to lifing again. I'm almost 48. I'm relatively athletic as I officiate college football at the D-II level and was recently promoted to D-I as a "reserve."

I had my 4-month checkup and 100% fused. I do have some aches and pains from time to time but I guess that's to be expected. I rode on the log flume a couple of weeks ago, ride my new wave runner (although don't go crazy) and like I said I have some achiness but definitely not to the point where it's unbearable. I sometimes get a bit of tingling but it's rare. It's actually sleeping on a pillow the wrong way may wake me but for all intents and purposes I feel pretty good and was given the "green light" to return to the football field for the 2011 season. Next steps - finish my "return to wellness program" with my therapist and begin working out full time at my gym. Doc wants to see on my 1-year anniversary of the surgery.

I was hoping for absolutely zero achiness but that arm pain is no picnic. In fact I couldn't wait to get on the operating table. NOTHING to be scared of! I hope this helps those of you who are considering surgery. If I had to do it all over again I would have never got the nerve decompression and went straight to having the fusion.

In health,

• You're right, hon, that is great news!

Thank you for coming on and sharing your positive outcome! Like you said, alot of people (including myself) are really scared about having to undergo spinal surgery and every success story, gives us hope!

I hope you'll continue to improve and the arm pain will get less and less as you go along!

Good luck with your "2011 season" and keep us posted on your great recovery! :D