Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9months out and pain is back!!!

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on..I feel like I am going backwards..At my 6 month revision Fusion I was told I had a solid fusion and this past month the pain is back full force.

has anyone experience this? I have pressure in the legs, sciatic pain, legs get very shaky when walking, stooping, bending ect.Driving and sitting is an issue! Getting a bit discouraged to say the least! Starting to wonder if all my prior infections in the lumbar if the bones are week to handle the fusion...

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
Brain shunt 2000"
Brain shunt removed 20001"
ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10

• I don't know much about this stuff, as I'm fairly new to this back pain/surgery stuff, but it sounds like it's time to pay your surgeon a visit.
  • I have been told that I have a good solid fusion but that some of the pain I am having is hardware related. My pain has increased a lot and it is now going down my legs and making them weak. I will be 11 months out in 2 weeks. They are sending me to pain management this week for the new pain but they do not think it is hardware related so I potentially have multiple issues. Basically, my back, hips, butt, legs and feet hurt terribly and nothing seems to help! Good luck to you!
  • Melias Thank you for your response!!!

PLEASE don't take this wrong but was kind of relieved knowing that it's not just me out there with the pain! Sometimes I think it's all in my head...I been having pain in all those areas minus the feet. I go back in October for my year check up... I hope you find some relief soon!!

• I think it is in my head all the time too. Other people do not understand it at all. I feel like people do not believe I am in pain or that I am a big baby. Not that I really wish this on anyone, but I wish everyone could feel it for one day so they would understand. Especially the Dr's! Good luck in October!
  • HI,
    Sorry to hear you're so miseraable...maybe you need to find another dr. or at least get a 2nd opinion. It could be the metal aggravating things, but have you considered another MRI to make sure you did't blow a disc? I had 2 lumbar diskectomies then had another 11 months later..
    We who have chronic pain understand where you are coming from...welcome to spine health...a good place to come!!
    And your emotions are real...what you are feeling is real, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! It's not in your head, and your anxiety/depression ... well, I think alot of us have been there, done that so we know how you feel. Antidepressants help me alot, and given your situation, I would not hesitate to talk to you dr about this. I would call the office, and explain the anxiety/depression isssue, and see if they would give you a script for something now, until waiting until Oct. Do you have a primary you ask about this?
    Good luck in search for medical answers.. Let us know how you are doing!
  • Sorry to hear that you are back in pain. I know from my own experiences how frustrating it can be.

Is it the same pain that you had before or is it different? I ask because my pre op pain was mainly back of leg but my post op pain has been predominantly front of leg and in my lower back.

It is frustrating when no one listens (or no one seems to listen). The surgeon seems to think you are fixed and it is all just "normal" post op pain. I too thought that it was all in my head.

This is my second post op flare up and I am no nearer getting it all sorted. I really hope that someone can sort yours.

Best of luck.
  • Just when you think you won the battle it's back. I had such a wonderful surgery and recovery...until 5 months later when it all came back. Talk to your doctor. Alot of people have had issues with their hardware and had it removed. Hopefully this is all you need.
  • Don't be discouraged and don't doubt yourself!!

After my L4-5 fusion, I kept a journal, more to justify my pain meds than anything else. But I took my journal to my 3 month post op and don't you know it.......I blew out my L3-4....

I feel it in my quads, inside thighs and upper bum. I have numbness on the inside of my right knee lower thigh. But worst of all, my quads are very weak... I have a hard time going downstairs, getting out of my car, keeping my feet on the brake at a traffic light, and getting up off the floor.

If I could give any advice, it would be to not doubt yourself and to communicate with your medical team!

When I had my EMG/Nerve conduction test, he asked me what I thought and said "you know your body better than anyone else".

Wishing for the very best for you! Please let us know how you are doing!
  • and it showed that the pressure was up again like years ago!!! One Dr ( Surgeon on call )told me before the tap if it's elevated then it would explain what I'm feeling ALLOT of pressure and PAIN and weakness....

he also said if the ICP is up it would affect the hardware even if I was fused ect and I was to call ASAP with the results...Well I did and spoke to the my surgeons PA and said they did there job I'm fused and he wishes me luck so to speak!!! I said " What about the pain in my legs , back and everything ect and what the Surgeon on call said" Basically he left me on my own and told me I may need a shunt put back in....

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
    Failed fusion and Failed Hardware
    PLIF Fusion scheduled for 10/29/10
  • major surgey {original poster} and it sound like you need a top consultant to give you half a chance .i have had 2 operations and now need ALIF so i am going down what seems to be the natural .progression of failed back surgey . i hope that someone can sort you out and you have my best wishes ,good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • MLT01 - Don't wait until October. If this surgeon doesn't have an answer find another one. One who excels at reconstructive. They are harder to find and you might have to travel. It's that go in circles with the one you have.

melias - Same thing as above. Your surgeon punted you. Sending you of to PM docs usually means they wrote you off. They're sending you to get pumped up with drugs, not fixed. Go find a better surgeon. PM docs are not the answer unless you are truly unrepairable.

• Bad part is the PM says he can't do anything for me(no pain meds) and I just need to have hardware removed. I'm between a rock and a hard place. I don't want another surgery but how do I know if I really should or not? I am thinking of finding someone else to give me an opinion. thanks for your support!