Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

failed si joint fusion

sadzafacessadzaface Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi everyone, I have been posting about my si joint fusion which I had in december 2010. It was a long and very painful recovery but I stayed positive about it all, and followed my drs instructions to a T. I was nonweight bearing for 3/mths, and didn't so much as put my foot on the ground for that time.. I had incredible support from my family. Whenever I saw my dr, he took x rays and was very happy with the new bone growing. Then I had a CT done 2 weeks ago, and it has been decided that the bone didn't bridge across the joint. Now I have to go through another 6 mths recovery after attempt. When the first fusion was done, my dr told me that he was concerned because my bones are soft and because of that he couldn't tiighten the screws as much as he would have wanted. So as a result, there was micro movement in the joint which prevented the bridging. I'm not sure about how different this surgery will be done to prevent this problem again. I have emailed all my questions to my dr because at the time he told me it had to be redone, my brain froze. To say I'm mortified, depressed, devastated is minimizing how I feel, esp for my family. But at the same time, I'm grateful to have another chance. My main issue now is trying to cope with the stress and anxiety.

• I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. I know what you mean by brain freeze. I write out questions before I go to an appointment. This Wednesday I have a follow-up with my surgeon regarding my cervical surgery, and he's going to review my lower back issues. I asked my husband to go with me. He's also a second set of ears to hear what is said.

How did they determine the issue was in your SI? With my issues I'm not sure if it's SI or lower back. Any insight is appreciated.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • This is very interesting. So your symptoms have not improved. Okay well lets discuss how the physician came up with the diagnosis of sacroiliac joint pain syndrome. Was it based on history and physical exam? Was it based on imaging only? If yes then these methods are accurate and sensitive enough to reasonably assume that the pain is emanating from the sacroiliac joint.

If you has a diagnostic sacroiliac joint injection performed under xray guidance using contrast to confirm needle placement using a anesthetic only in the form of lidocaine or bupicivicaine of no more than 1.5 to 2.0 ml of fluid demonstrating greater than a 75 percent reduction of your painful symptoms with provocative movements or simple activities of daily living tasks. If yes was the diagnostic injection under xray repeated again for consistency of results? if yes and still having pain is your bone mineral density osteopenia or osteoporosis? If yes maybe you can get an MRI of the pelvis to evaluate for a sacral insufficiency fracture.

Hope this helps. Best
    Amish R Patel DO, MPH