Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

long term sickness due to chronic back pain

jenny_40jjenny_40 Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi guys.....i am new on hear....Hope i can get some good advice.Long short of it..i had 3 surgeries...last in 2008..Level 4/5/s1..complications came after the second operation...suffered nerve root damage along with a condition called "FOOT DROP.
I need to return to work ..however i still suffer from severe back pain 27/7..i take pain meds.which do help a bit knocks the edge of the discomfort.
I need to return to work for financial but also i need to get out of my house and start meeting people. Don't like being a hermit.Would like to here from anyone who is a chronic pain sufferer and how going to work affects them how do they cope in the work place
hope to here from you soon
take care

• Hi Jenny

I am new here too - Welcome!

I am self employed and work from home - I have found that being busy helps take my mind off the pain sometimes.

I think as long as you can find a job to suit your condition - depending if you are more comfortable sitting or standing etc, it can be very helpful in distracting from the pain

Plus making new friends and having a bigger social circle always lifts the spirits. I am probably not in anywhere as much pain as you are and I know how depressing it can be so being busy may help you

Good luck and I hope your pain settles down
  • hello Mrs_Woods
    Thank you for replying to me.I totally understand what you are saying.I am so unhappy cos i don't see anyone socialy much.When everyone of my family works.I quess im just worried that i when i do get back into the workplace i dont want to go sick again.I have started to apply for jobs im am limited cos i can't stand or sit to long and im not allowed to lift anything heavy.i struggle with my food shopping.I take pains meds,but it is true when you are busy you do get distracted from the pain AND yep the depression im with you on that to.I have had 3 surgies on my back...the last one i did recover well although i still have the back pain. i have to pace myself and everything takes twice as long.I just turned 40 and i feel like im a 102 lol.
    With any kind of medication its hard to not be affected by their side effect.I have tried going without meds but i found the pain was just excallating out of control.I quess we have to learn how to cope with the pain.
    I hope you are getting on ok maybe i should swap pain meds with the ice packs...i give that a go
    take it easy
    nerve root damage
    foot drop

• The ice definitely helps me - I couldn't take feeling like I was off my head with painkillers - couldn't function properly

I put an ice pack on each side of my spine - 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, 2 hourly, 3 times a day

If the pain gets too much I take paracetamol and mild anti inflammatories which sometimes just take the edge off

Sitting is the worst for me - feels like knives in my buttocks and legs

I know what you mean about feeling old - I see pensioners dashing around and hope one day I will be able to do the same, rather than feeling crippled at 38 :-(

What is your normal job?

This discussion has been closed.