Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally found a neuro willing to give a 2nd opintion 3 yrs after

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am finally getting a second opinion from a neurosurgeon tomorrow to try and pinpoint my pain generator 3 years post plif fusion. What has amazed me is that I had a problem getting any neuorsurgeon to even look at me until I was at LEAST 3 years post fusion. Has anybody else had an issue with that? Initial surgery was done by an ortho who was more that happy to herd me off to a "pain" doc 3 months post surgery.

• I just want to wish you all the best at your appointment tomorrow. Wow! Three years, that is such a long wait when you are in pain.

What level(s) was your plif? Are your pain symptoms similiar to pre surgery or something totally new? Do you have any issues at any other levels?

Will have my fingers crossed for you that you finally get some answers, or at least the ball rolling in finding out the cause and solution to your pain.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Kathy, I am being "preped" to expect some problems finding a neurosurgeon for my 3rd major back surgery because I have had previous surgeries. One good thing I read in your post is that it seem that after 3 years they are more likely to take you on, please correct me if I have misread. I get to see my osteo on Aug 4 and then a neuro on the 23rd, perhaps it is a good sign that the neuro gave me an appointment (unless the appointment is to say "sorry".
  • Kathy,

I hope your appointment goes well this week and they can find the issue, that is still causing your pain. Do you still have your hardware? I have seen many here whom the hardware is what was still causing issues but once removed they did much better, so hopefully this is the case for you. As far as getting another opinion, I was rather lucky, in that once I fused I had I was able to get another opinion. It is true that a lot of surgeon don't like to get involved with a patient whom is still recovering, but once you fused I would have thought another surgeon would have been willing to see you. But there are also surgeons whom don't like to take patients on whom have had poor outcomes with a prior surgery. I think basically they don't want the failure to be on them. With that said the best you can do is look for surgeons whom deal specifically in failed back surgery, or deal with the more difficult situations.
  • Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

You've been going through such a lot of pain and it would be so nice if this neurosurgeon can help you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I have no idea why anyone should have a problem getting a second opinion after having a surgery. I would absolutely consider sending copies of MRI's, post-op reports, x-rays etc to a top-notch nuero or ortho in another area of the country. One known for outstanding work for the type of problem that you originally presented with. I think you should type up a summary of your history and the present problems you are having along with the above mentioned reprots and scans and see what someone outside your community has to say. Good luck.
  • OK, OK! Not prejudiced against younger docs. Very much anyway. But he has ordered a CT scan. I've only had MRI's. He suspects possible instability in fusion area. I guess what that means is that I have a loose screw ( =)) Seriously. It's probably a waste of money but I'll take it right now. My pain has ALWAYS been worst right at the fusion sight. By far. Thanks for the well-wishers. Too bad we can't all get together for a group hug!! CT scan is 8/15...we'll see. I have a hunch I'm going to end being another lost cause destined to be in pain management forever. But my glass is still half full. Just don't know another way to live. "To life."