Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasms?

Jewel2005JJewel2005 Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've had a lot of sharp burning pain in between my shoulder blades. Could this be muscle spasms?

• Even in spasms, were you can develop a lactic acid buildup, there can be a burning sensation but sharp & burning sounds more "nerve pan" as the culprit IMHO.
  • Did you have surgery or is this pain (which I agree sounds more like nerve pain than muscle spasms) just something that happens?
  • What is IMHO? Thank you for your response.
  • I had ACDF in March. I had this pain before surgery and still have it, although is less intense after surgery. Thank you for you response. I appreciate any feedback.
  • I had a moderate stenosis on my right C6 nerve root with impingement on the cervical cord without cord compression or flattening. Thanks for any information.

• IMHO = In my humble opinion

I agree that sharp and burning pain is likely to be from nerves.

What has your surgeon said about you still having the pain so long after surgery?

Did you have problems with other levels before your surgery? Hope you will feel better soon. :-)

• I have a small osteophyte on the left side at c6-7 but not on the spinal cord. I had a moderate stenosis at c6 with cord impingement and no compression. My surgeon said to go to pain management. Are you in a lot of pain? If so what are you taking for it. Thanks for your response.
  • I know that sharp burning feeling all to well and it was nerve pain. I also had plenty of muscle spasms too. I am about 5 weeks post op now. I still have burning pain in my lower and mid back, and sometimes that sharp burning pain in my shoulder blade but not very often.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I am 31 years old and the pain started the end of last year. I am so sick of this pain. I had surgery 4 months ago but still get burning sensations. I also have pain on the side of my neck where I had the surgery. Did you have some sort of injury that caused the pain? Thanks for your response.

• Although I do get symptoms most of the time, the level of pain is bearable. I don't take pain meds all the time. It is generally the headaches that cause me to reach for them. Generally one or two doses of over the counter medication will help. I do have Tramadol and Diclofenac, but don't generally use them. Ibuprufen seems to be most effective with the nerve pain.

I get terrible aching arms, especially during the night. The other pains I get are all over the place; sharp, shooting, electric pains that only last a few seconds but make me wince. If they lasted all the time, I wouldn't be able to cope with them. I get them in my neck, shoulders, arms, hands, abdomen, legs and feet. It is hard to say where exactly because they keep changing position.

My pain levels are much better than the sciatica I was getting in both legs, that led to my lumbar fusion.

I am waiting to have EMG and nerve conduction studies done, and am hoping that will give some idea of where my problems lie. My doctor's are focussed on my neck because my lumbar back MRI scans look good after my fusion. I do wonder what my thoracic spine looks like now, as the last, incomplete MRI (just caught 4 of the discs next to my lumbar) was two years ago, and I had some cord compression then. I am now getting very regular spasms and tightening around my chest. Something is going on!!

I hope that you will get some relief very soon. :-)

• I find that diclofenac works well for me and ibuprofen. I also had similar pains as you have and still have pain, it has got better after surgery though. I have a T8-9 disc protrusion and it hurts a lot sometimes as well as I have herniated discs in 3 levels of my lower back. Good luck to you! I think I might have done more PT before surgery and held out until there was cord compression on my neck. The surgery isn't easy. It's taken me awhile to get better and had to wear a collar for 3 weeks which I hated and you can't move your neck at all during that time.
  • The chest tightness sounds like muscle spasms I have those too on my neck and chest. By the way I had the worst headaches after surgery. I had to take pain killers to sleep through those. I don't know everyone has a different recovery might not be the same for you.