Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pressure around neck and head

Jewel2005JJewel2005 Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello. Has anyone had pressure on their head and neck while walking? I am trying to figure out what this is. I had it before my ACDF and still have the pressure. Sometimes it comes on even when I am not walking.

• I think the pressure you feel is your neck trying to support the weight of your head. If you have a neck brace you might want to try wearing it for a little while - an hour or so? once in a while. It may be causing the pain in your shoulder blade as well. I don't know how long it's been since your ACDF. You don't want to wear a collar a lot because it can weaken your muscles, but for short times it can provide some relief.

Give us a little more information in your posts and we can understand your issues a little better.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thank you for your reponse. I had moderate stenosis at the C6 nerve root level with impingment on the cervical cord without cord compression or flattening. I appreciate any information. I do find relief with a collar on. I thought the pressure would have left after the surgery but I still have it. It was worse before surgery because I wasn't able to walk up or down stairs without feeling like my head was being pushed down or even if I walked against wind, it was all a challenge. I don't know if the surgery was worth it or if these symptoms eventually would have resolved themselves. It's been such a bad experiece because I've never got straight answers from any of the doctors I've seen.
  • I forgot to mention I had ACDF at the C5-6 level in March. Thank you for any information.
  • I had the same surgery in February this year. Muscles spasms are still around and also some nerve pain. Doctors are very vague about recovery since recovery is so different depending on the person's age, the extent of nerve damage and current health. My doctor says full recovery is around 1 year, so expect some pain, spasm and discomfort. You are only 4-5 months out and still considered early in your recovery. You have to look at this surgery as a success if you have less pain than before. Good luck with your recovery! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Thank you for your response. It has been a difficult recovery. This all happened from one day to another for me. I was not aware that I had a stenosis and had a manipulation done which caused the horrible pain that led me to the surgery. I am 31 years old and was told I'd have a quick recovery and recently found out that it takes one year for full recovery. It's been very hard since I had a brake up 3 weeks after my surgery. And no support system.

I had a moderate stenosis at the right C-6 level with impingment on the cord. Does anyone knows if this was really surgical at this point in time? I was so scared of losing function I went though surgery. I don't know if this would've got better on it's own.
  • Stenosis does not ever get better, but some people manage to relieve their pain through other means: PT, epidural steroid injections, pain meds, etc. Did you try all the conservative methods prior to surgery? I did and nothing worked! I had severe biforaminal stenosis and cord flattening. I started to get recurrent UTIs and felt my feet did not belong to my body. For me it was a matter of time before I ended up in surgery.

I'm sorry about your breakup. Chronic pain is very hard on relationships. My husband has been extremely strong and supportive, but there are times I can tell that he can no longer take it. Hang in there and we are your support on this forum! Things will get better! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi Jewel,

I am pre-surgery and still debating for a short while. I have another appt with the neuro on the 10th.

I do know the feeling and I call it "bobble head" like the little dolls that you push on their heads and they wiggle. I hate the feeling as it feels like someone has decapitated my head a few seconds ago. I suspect it is my neck having trouble supporting my head. Hopefully, with your surgery behind you, it will go away.

Wishing you a full recovery. you are a young gal. I am 60 years old. May i ask, was this from an accident?

• I was not in a car accident, the symptoms started at work and then got worse when I went to a chiropractor that did a manipulation. The pain was so bad afterwards. I thought I was going to die literally. I went to physcial therapy and it was not helping much but probably because the therapist wasn't doing the exercises for this type of issue. I don't know what happened to my neck after the manipulation but it's been a nightmare ever since. Yes it does feel like a bobble head feeling. Maybe it's neck spasms. I'm not sure. Do you have a stenosis?
  • Yikes..I know sometimes chiros can help but even my longtime guy told me he didn't want to touch me and that I most likely would need surgery. He did ask to see my MRI first and also took an additional side view xray.

I know I felt like that a little over a month ago and had to wait three weeks to see the doctor. Uh. I prayed for no more. I am doing a little better taking soem meds to just keep it bearable. Still would like to see if this would just go away but i am thinking my luck is running out after all these years.

I have C6 and C7 radiculopathy due to spndylosis and foraminal stenosis plus 4 bone spurs are preesing on the nerve. My right arm is going there now and also pain beloe my knees and on my feet.

I will pray that you find some answers and the people here are great at helping out. Hope you get a good nights sleep.

BTW, did I ask your age?

• Praying does work, it's helped me a lot. Also going to church can do miracles for your mental health when you're in pain. I am 31 years old. I know it's a bit young for this problem. God Bless!
  • From visiting here, it looks like all ages are affected.

I guess I have been pretty lucky thus far.