Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Medications
Within the last few months I have started to have headaches with my pain flair-ups. My medication is basically the same except I recently changed from 600mg to 900mg gabapentin and from 10mg to 20mg amitriptyline. The headaches started well before my doses were increased. Wondering what they can do if anything about the headaches. Just seen PM and I told the nurse about my headaches but forgot to discuss it with the Dr. I'm going call the Dr today to see what can be done.

• I imagine that your cervical problems could be causing you some headaches. Mine did.

What did your doctor say today?

• Still waiting to hear back from her.
  • Did not talk to the Dr but the NP. She basically said they do not deal with headaches and recomended ice packs??? I thought a headache was pain, at least it feels like it to me. And yes I can tell that my headaches do start up when Im experiencing muscle spasms.
  • Strange... both amitriptyline and gabapentin may work to prevent headaches.

May be you need non-drug treatment for your headaches? e.g. massage? Massage works excellent for my tens muscles on the neck and occipital region. Meds do nothing to relax muscles, even most muscle relaxants work on the level of central nervous system and do not directly relax muscles.
    So if your pain is due to muscle spasms it may worth a try a physical therapy.
  • my pain meds that ive been taking since symptoms started oct2010 and now 4 weeks post op md give me headaches.i find it amazing im taking meds that you would expect to cure a headache and in fact they give me 1.unless its other issues as people have suggested maybe its just your body being none too happy with all the meds.?