Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-Op Pain Management-Help please

benDerbbenDer Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Medications
I have a first appointment at a pain clinic coming up soon and would really appreciate any help with a couple questions.
My history is:
4/25/2007-injured on the job, as a laborer
3/11/2008-ACDF at C5-6 and C6-7 with herniated disk at C6-7. The fusions did not progress and the surgery was "failed" ( surgeons words).
3/2008-Present: many treatments tried, no success.
Such as: P/T, steroid injections, a bone stimulator.
I have been under the care of my PCP, who has been managing my pain (severe and lifelong-Drs words).
The PCP doesn't manage chronic pain and that's why they are sending me to the pain clinic. The PCP has done the best they can for the Meds, they have me on 30 mg oxycodones (not time released), 4 pills a day.
They do help, but not that much and do not last for more than about 3 hours. I am not taking more than prescribed, but the pain keeps me awake at night and I am unable to be active in any way.
And my PCP told me that I am being "underprescribed".
So, my question is-
Could anyone out there help me to know, in general, what sort of medication(s) and APX how much I could expect to be prescribed from the pain clinic?
Thank you all so much,

• Is there the option of having another surgery to try to help? If the surgery was "failed" is that an option? I wouldn't be able to help with the medications question, sorry. I hope you find relief soon.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • HI,
    I just recently had to re-do the anterior fusion of C5-C7..but this time we did both anterior and posterior, one day apart ( 5 days in hospital). The anterior did not fuse well, known as a non-union..
    So this time, we did both to secure things better.
    If I were you, I would look into another surgery as pain meds just aren't a healthy way of life, unless you have no choice. IF you like and trust the dr that did the 1st surgery, stay with him, and if not, look around for someone else. Good luck!
  • Yeah, hon. Like Karen said. I wondered if another surgery might help. I have heard of a medical term of "failed" surgery before.

As for meds, it's really hard for anyone here (as most of us aren't docs) to guesstimate what type of meds would be better for you. Everyone's chemistry is different and what may work (or not work) for you, may be different for others.

I suppose you won't know anything until you go the pain management clinic and they evaluate you, and/or you go to another surgeon for an opinion on your "failed" case...

Hope you'll find help soon. So, good luck and keep us posted!
  • In my case, more surgery was discussed and it is not an option.
    I guess I'll have to wait and see what the good doctors feel is the best treatment for me.
    Good luck to everyone, God Bless!