Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Relief

wjmcburniewwjmcburnie Posts: 25
Has anyone actually found any decent pain relief?

I had a 2 level fusion on L4-L5-S1 on 1 March 2010, I am now on more pain killers than ever before
I was told last year that my spine had fused and was told I needed no further appointments. I mentioned last July that the pain in my leg was back and the tingly feet and was told the nerves take time to settle down - even though this had disapeared immediately after the op, gradually over the months this has got steadily worse.
I have taken numerous different anti inflammatories and plenty of pain killers but cant find anything that actually works
I do have an appointment with GP this week to be referred to a 'pain clinic'
I thought the fusion was meant to be the end of my problems

• Do you still have your hardware from the surgery? I have seen many once the hardware has been removed they are up and about and the pain begins to heal. It is not uncommon for patient to feel relief from surgery, as they put a lot of meds right on the spine and where they are operating, but that doesn't mean your surgery is the problem. If your getting referred to pain management try to get a referral to a physiatrist as they will be more than likely to look for what is still causing the pain your enduring. It will more than likely involve injections, but be open to anything they want to try. While some of it you might already had and it failed, usually a new doctor likes to come to their own diagnoses. Good luck and keep us posted on how the appointment goes.
  • Yes I do still have hardware in place and was under the assumption this was for life.

I am willing to try anything for a bit of pain relief
    I currently go swimming twice a week,bike ride once a week, various exercises from the physio and am not really sure if I can fit much more in top of a full time job.
    My work have been helpful and I now have a
    'sit to stand' desk so not sitting constantly
    I have a very good chair and so really am at my wits end
    Will keep you posted with how I get on