Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new here, and six months into sciatica. Losing hope.

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Help me, I am in hell.

My name is Chanelle, and I've been trapped in this pain for six months now. It has not improved at all, and I have been to a host of medical professionals. Nothing showed up on my lumbar MRI and I have had nerve damage testing completed at the SC Neurological Practice in Columbia, SC. I do not have any nerve damage, and I have no issues with my discs. After a long trial of attempting to pinpoint issues, my new physical therapist discovered that the muscles in my left hip are contorted and the joints are really stiff. He showed me some exercises to do on my own twice a day, but ever since I've started them, I feel worse again. He is working with me to correct the imbalances in my hips, and so I imagine that the pain might increase initially, but I'm not sure how to handle the pain anymore. I am going to see a St.John's Neuromuscular Therapist. I am hoping that the combination of PT and this massage therapist will bring me some relief.

Is anyone else suffering bouts of depression? I am only 23 years old and every doctor tells me that it is abnormal to have had this pain for so long. I am terrified about having to learn to live with this pain for the rest of my life. I am a drummer, and I haven't been able to play music or go to school or work for 6 months and I feel like all I do is try to kill the pain, but everything I do is futile. I'm looking for people who are also hurting to talk to. My friends here don't understand what it is like to live like this, and as a result I am becoming increasingly distant from my friends because I envy their abilities to do the things I can't do anymore. I hate feeling alone with this pain.

If anyone wants to vent about their pain, or talk, or perhaps work out some ideas about how to gain some confidence and happiness while trapped in this hell, please message me or respond. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but my world has become so small because of this problem and I need something else to focus on.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to talk to some of you soon.

• Hi Chanelle,

I'm new here too but these guys are great at answering questions.

I am having neck issues now so can only say you have come to a good place.
  • I'm glad. I'm not looking so much for medical advice, but just how to be able to handle pain with grace. I don't want it to rule my attitude and emotions so strongly as it does now. I am living in hell...

how long have you had your issue for??
  • Hey Chanelle,
    I am sorry to hear you are in pain. I have been in agony since I was 17 and I'm 22 now. I am very glad to hear that you don't have any issues with your spine and I pray that you never have to deal with that. The depression comes with chronic pain and sometimes it breaks you down and you find yourself crying out of sheer frustration but you can't let it get the best of you. You seem like you have a plan and I hope those stretches and working with PT will help. You will find a lot of good people on here that can help brighten your day on your worst days.
    Fall 7 times, stand up 8...
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questons we can.. my eyes are to bad to read much but i did want to say hello and i hope your pain issues are dealt with soon.. that you get some kind of pain relief.. being around others who feel as you do may make you feel alittle better.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Hey Chanelle,
    Im sorry your having so much pain, I will keep you in my prayers. I too am dealing with with issues that are causing me some pain, numness, and headaches. I know what the problem is and what needs to be done, but can't seem to bring myself to make the decision to go through with it. I find myself cryaing a lot and can't understand why im crying. I guess its a little of everything that is going on with my body and having to make this decision, and wondering what the outcome will be and a host of other questions.
    I pray that you will find relief as you continue to seek help, and that you will be pain free soon. Keep ya head up.
  • I so understand where you all are coming from. I am still like in denial about this surgery coming up most likely in September. I have an appt on the 10th to find out more. I try to put it all in the back of my head, but my neck won't let me.

The pain is really bad at times but it can stay around a 5-6 if I really behave. I am not too good about pain either and want to complain and my husband who never complains about his health problems is getting tired of hearing me whine. Nerve pain is so different than other pain though and I find myself depressed, frustrated and not sure what to do. Time is getting short for a decision here though. My work is way too much for me and it is just here at home. After last Saturday my pain went up to an 8-9 and know what happens when it gets worse than that. You just want it to be over. I try to stay positive and then the pain comes reeling back bad again.

Good luck to you and am sending prayers to all of you.

• The amount of time you've suffered is ridiculous. What exactly is wrong with your spine? Was it an injury that caused it? I can't believe how young you were plagued with such a beast.

The thing that sucks too (I don't know if this is an issue for you or not) is that my friends don't empathize well, probably because this isn't a visually striking ailment. People can't tell unless they know. But most of my friends have been in-compassionate about the suffering I am in, and it is causing me to feel animosity towards them. Has this happened to you at all? I hate the cycle of the depression related to chronic pain because the feelings I have seem invalid because nothing happens to change the state of how I feel. Not yet, anyway.

I hope the plan works out. The few paths I have not yet tried are the graces that keep me from losing it entirely.

What is the process you must follow in order to heal? I hope that you are healed in time. I admire the strength you have that's carried you this far.
  • Thanks for the welcome. :)

I found this site out of a curiosity to find others who are ailed by pain. I don't have any friends who can relate to me and it makes me feel very isolated and upset. I think that the company I find here will help immensely, at least emotionally.

May I ask what you suffer from?