Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I go for round two?

sabrandtssabrandt Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Scoliosis
Hey everybody. When I was 11 (2008), I was diagnosed with 2 50 degree curves in my spine, similar to an S. My surgeon said that braces and all that jazz wouldn't stop the progressive curves so I got T3-L4 fusion. I have two rods, 24 screws and a crossbar.

I'm feeling extreme pain in my crossbar area and also above and below the fusion. I've tried yoga and massage therapy. My surgeon said that taking out the crossbar would help that pain. My mom isn't agreeing with him though, because she thinks it's too dangerous. I personally would like all of the metal out of me, but that IS very dangerous....or is it?

I was just wondering if anyone had this type of surgery and got some or all of the hardware taken out. I just turned 15 and I was thinking that maybe this winter I'd have the crossbar taken out.

• Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and we have a few that have the same condition with the scoli as you do.

As far as removing the hardware, I am sure your mom is right about removing all the hardware. There is some hardware once it goes in it is more dangerous to remove than putting it in. There are few here whom have the same issues with ADR(artifical disc replacement), that is to dangerous to have it out.

I am sure with all you have been through, at such a young age, you are very apt at listening to the doctors. Is it possible for you to get a second opinion on the cross bar, to help your mom understand. Or can you try to explain to your mom how much pain your in and at least removing the crossbar could help you feel so much better. I am sure it is very hard on your mom to see you going through surgery and dealing with the pain post op. I know it would be hard on me to see a teenager going through all of that pain. Did the surgeon say how sure he was that it would remove some of the pain and make you more comfortable? I would try and sit down and talk to your mom and explain how much pain your in and how uncomfortable you are, and how sure you are you need some relief from the pain. Make a list of the pro's and cons of the surgery and see how it looks and try showing your mom you have put a lot of thought into it. It will also help you to be sure you really want the surgery.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you do and if you have surgery or not. I do hope that you can find some pain relief, and go onto do all the things you want to do in life. Take care.
  • Thank you so much for answering my concerns. My surgeon said it would be a great idea, because it has little risk involved. Whereas my Rheumatologist said it would add more stress to my muscles. I'm definitely getting a second opinion before I do anything.

I've also been experiencing pain on my left side of my back, right where the rod is. I was reading on this site that some people decided to get screws removed. I play violin and when I play for longer than 15 minutes, that spot starts to feel like I pulled something there and I'm unable to move.

Nothing is set in stone yet. I still might not get the surgery. I'm entering into my sophomore year of high school and taking AP classes. I'm also very involved in sports such as running and softball. Two of the most back stressing sports. Ironic isn't it? :) I'm not sure if I want to risk something going wrong. It's also added stress to my mom.
This discussion has been closed.