Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pars fracture, 4 months of back brace, pain still present

advicepleaseaadviceplease Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
Hello all. So for something like 2 years (I'm currently 18) I've had a slight "discomfort" in my lower back. After maybe the first 5 months of the discomfort (which would turn to pain when I lifted weights, especially during exercises such as squats), I went to my pediatrician for a check-up (needed for high school wrestling) and I asked him about it but he dismissed it as a pulled muscle and said it would go away with time. Months later the feeling was still there. Fast forward to 6 months ago and I went to a back doctor (I think Dr. Romano in Plantation, FL), and he came to the conclusion that I had a pars fracture on one of my lower vertebra (the left side) and a minor fracture on the right side. He referred to it as a scotty-dog fracture? I don't remember everything exactly at the moment because I'm at university for the first time. But anyways, I was going to have to wear a back brace for 4 months which I finished wearing about a week ago.

I was hoping that my discomfort would be gone, but I still feel it. It's began to make me worry a lot because I don't want to go through my life with this. I want to be able to be active and lift weights and play sports, but I'm scared I won't be able to ever do this again. I've lost a great amount of muscle mass due to this (which sucks for a teenage guy) and it really makes me feel desperate to just find a quick solution for my back.

I don't want to go to the doctor again, only because I feel guilty that my parents are paying for it. I don't want to put the stress on them so I'm coming here for any advice any of you have to offer. Should I continue wearing my back brace? If so for how long? Is there surgery for this? Surgery would be a last resort for me; I'm kind of scared of it.

I also just remembered, a few months before the visit to the back doctor, I went to play dodgeball with some of my friends, and when I twisted my back to throw the ball I had one of the worst pains in my back I can think of. It hurt so much and the pain didn't go away for like 2 weeks. Maybe that made my back way worse than it already was.

Also, I'll be home again in about a week because my semester is going to end, and I have the DVD (or CD?) with the bone scan images on it, so if any of you would like me to upload the files just let me know.

Thank you for any and all advice you have to offer.



  • Honestly, no one can give you better advice than a qualified doctor. I think it would be wise to go visit an orthopedic spine specialist or a neurosurgeon to direct your care. The vast majority of people with this condition are able to manage it conservatively. If you're interested in reading more about it, I believe the medical term is spondylolysis. Here's a good article http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spondylolisthesis/spondylolysis-and-spondylolisthesis

    If you go to a spine specialist, they will most likely refer you to a physical therapist. PT has been pretty effective for me thus far, and I'm only 4 weeks in. They'll help you stabalize your core and increase flexibility to alleviate symptoms and hopefully prevent further damage.

    I'm also a sufferer of pars defects. Just stay positive and realize the majority of patients are able to get enough relief to return to an active lifestyle. It will just take more time than us young folks are used to.

    So basically, if you're still in significant pain I would recommend seeing a specialist. They're very used to managing these types of injuries and will be best suited to get you back on your feet. I don't know your parents financial situation, but I'm sure that your parents love you and want nothing but the best for you. You have a very treatable condition, so you should get the best care now to prevent more problems in the future.
  • I play football, WR to be specific. I was running routes around Jan. 21st. went through the route tree once on each side fine. Came back later that day and did it again, but I felt a shape pain in my low back on the left side. Went a week without doing anything. On the 28th of Jan. I played in a flag game. The first bit I was fine, but later the pain became unbearable. It was clear that I did something serious. I rested it up for several weeks. I then felt somewhat good again, to where I could tolerate it. I got some training in and then it switched sides (from left to right) Again I rested. Then around 2+ months into this deal I go to the chiropractor. He said I have one leg slightly longer than the other and in a few adjustments I should be back to a active life. I thought to myself everyone has 2 different sized legs by some measurement. He did a "side poster hip/si adjustment" Later that day I notice a crazy amount of low back pain, my hamstring has been super tight. I have no medical insurance, but had a MRI, CT scan done. I have a left side 6mm and right side 2mm acute pars fracture with edema. I was wondering what I can expect and what I can do? I do not have medical insurance to see a specialist, Will this heal on its own? And will I be able to play sports again?
  • Jack5416JJack5416 Posts: 9
    edited 01/23/2014 - 10:19 AM
    Hi vitale232 did you ever recover? I'm in the same boat as you. I injured mine doing squats and then ran a triathlon right after I injured it and at first just hurt on my right side but now it hurts on both and it's been 6 months. I may try the bracing to see if it works bc I'm pretty desperate just want it to go away. It sucks from being so active and doing anything you want to not being ably to do anything
  • Sorry meant that to be for adviceplease
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.