Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

From Morphine to Oxycodone IR

jennychelejjennychele Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Medications
I went to my pain management Dr. today for my regular 3 month visit. He asked how my pain was being managed and I told him that the 30mg of Morphine once a day plus up to 4 Percocet 10/325 just wasn't keeping my pain level as steady as I would like. He took me off the Morphine and put me on Oxycodone IR (15mg I think) 3 times a day and dropped the Percocets to 3 a day as needed for breakthrough. He mentioned that the Oxycodone IR didn't have any Acetaminophen but that is wasn't the same as Oxycontin. I don't really care one way or another, I just want to know what I am taking. So does anyone know the difference between Oxycodone IR and Oxycontin?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Without going into the medical details, chemical makeup, interactions, dosages, etc.

IR Immediate Release
    These are the pain medications that provide for quick pain relief but does not offer long time help.
    Example: OXYCODONE

ER Extended Release
    These are the pain medications that provide pain control over a longer period of time. They release pain control over 8 to 12 hours.
    Example: OXYCONTIN

Warning You should never cut, smash, or break any type of extended medication.
    Doing so could potentially result in respiratory arrest.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for replying Ron. I do know that the two medications are different in terms of when they are released. IR = Instant Released and ER = Extended Release. That part is pretty easy to understand. But I guess I was just trying to figure out why, when I told my doctor that I was having trouble keeping the pain relief steady throughout the day because there are times that I have to take some medicine and wait for it to work before I can do something, why would his answer to that be to stop the extended release Morphine I was on once a day with 4 percocet 10's for breakthrough and take me to having to take 3 Oxycodone IR a day with 3 percocets a day for breakthrough. I just wonder how that addresses the issue. Basically I complained that my pain wasn't controlled steady enough so he takes me off an Extended Release and switches me to an Immediate Release more often?

Then my other question was that I thought that Oxycontin was basically Oxycodone aka Percocet without the Acetaminophen so if the Oxcodone he wrote me yesterday doesn't have Acetaminophen is it basically the same as Oxycontin or is there another determining factor that I am not aware of.
    I know I rambled a lot so I hope that made sense.
    Ps I do know how dangerous it is to use anything, especially drugs for things they are not designed for, or in ways they are not meant to be used.
  • Hi Jenny...

My first question is my understanding is that you have not been on Oxycontin either before or now, right? So I was confused in your last post why you are mentioning Oxycontin...

Also..you write that it's Oxycodone 15mg (you think)...Do you not know the strength of the medicine? It should be written directly on the bottle..

As far as your actual medicine...Oxycodone is 'stronger' than Morphine..if you rate them soley on medications milligram for milligram...(Not taking into account some people have the opposite reaction but just going on generalities)..

So..your Dr. has not only upped your total milligrams for the day to 75mg for both medicines...but now you are on 75mg of Oxycodone (both the Percocet plus the Oxycodone IR)...so this is stronger than the 30mg of Morphine plus the 40mg of Percocet you were taking...

The odd part is yes...he switched from one LA and SA med to two SA meds...Maybe thinking that because you said you weren't getting good pain control...by upping your dosage, the strength, but give you more flexibility of when you take the medicine...every 4-6 hours..

This is not the usual course of action for a Dr....as by not being on a LA medicine...you are basically chasing the pain all day...

Another reason could be that because Oxycontin does not have a generic form...he didn't move you to this from the Morphine due to your insurance...or are you self pay and he knows that you have money issues?

I switched from Oxycontin to MSContin (generic) for this very reason...it's very cheap!

So..again...the great news is that your Dr. upped your strength of medicine by a lot and upped your total mgs per day...So if you space them out properly by the prescriptions...you should hopefully be getting much better pain control...