Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Afraid of new meds

Meucci24MMeucci24 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all, I went to a new pain doctor last week. I was excited to see that he is a DO (osteopathic) since I thought they were more about exercises than drugs. Not this one.

I'm allergic to all opiates we've tried. I've had lung surgery on both lungs so I've been strongly urged to not use opiates anyway. I live alone and would have no one to watch me if taking a major med that puts me out. I told the new doc all of this. He told me no physical therapy, no better brace... just a "let's try this med!" Great. He gave me Tizanidine (Zaniflex) and Salsalate and Amitriptyline 10mg (I was on 800mg Ibuprofen and 25mg Amitriptyline).

The tizanidine did not work out well for me at all. I took the first dose Thursday night and woke up crying Friday. Cried all day long. Woke up (only sleeping a few hours a night) on Saturday and cried all day long again. Sunday I woke up the same... and by Sunday night I was trying to break open a Daisy razor to finish myself off. Crying because I could not even break open the razor (someone was watching over me), I went to bed crying and thinking I would even screw up that.

I stopped taking the tizanidine on Sunday night since I was in such a horrid mood. By Monday night I was feeling much better. By Tuesday I felt like myself, emotionally, again. I actually felt a lot better just because I wasn't crying anymore.

This doctor told me to try those for a week until he could get some "real" medicine for me that he would have to order. He's going to put me on Suboxone this Thursday. I'm more than a little scared.

I'm really not sure what to do here. Disability turned me down partly due to it being my first application and partly due to my "unwillingness to try opiates" even though it's marked all over my records that I'm allergic and have had lung surgeries.

I have 5 bulging discs and BPPV with severe rotoscoliosis. I really don't know what to do. This suboxone seems like a pretty powerful drug. Has anyone had experiences with it? Any advice would be appreciated!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    Anytime you reach a point where you EVEN JUST THINK about committing suicide, contact the Suicide Hot line (number below)

No matter how much pain and discomfort you may be in because of spinal problems, its never any valid reason for thinking about taking one's life.

Now, for the medications. Before you start to figure out whats good and whats not for you, you need to understand the purpose beyond each medication.

There are many categories of medications. For here, lets just talk about medications for Spinal patients.

Pain Control Narcotics used to treat moderate to severe pain. Examples: Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Vicodin, Percocet, Opana

Nerve To manage Neuropathic pain. Examples: Neurontin and Lyrica.

Muscle Relaxers To help control muscle tigthness and spasms. Examples: Zanaflex, Soma, Flexeril, Baclofen

Anti-Depressants To help control depression. Examples: Amitriptyline

Each medication has a specific purpose. So when your doctor prescribes something like Zanaflex, its not for pain control, but for muscle control problems.

Spinal patients tend to require more than one category of medication. It is so important to understand all your medications, the interactions, dependencies, etc

One of our previous moderators put together an excellent thread detailing various medications. Medication 101

Spine-Health also provides medical details on various medications. Medications
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm not finding any info on this site about suboxone or Buprenorphine, but I've read up on it on other sites. The only user reviews come from former opiate dependent people. I have yet to find any using it for pain management so it's hard to get any kind of read on what it will be like.

I just don't want to be medicated to death (literally). Since I have no insurance I have to go to the county hospital. While I'm glad for that at least, they don't seem to really care and act as if we are all just there for opiates. Even though my chart says "no opiates" all over it.

I'll keep searching for info on this drug. Thanks.

ETA: Just found another thread about it in the medications forum.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    for each of those medications and you will find scores of poste talking about each of them
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.