Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post fusion/infections/residual pain - what do I try next??

nelnnel Posts: 402
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Sorry - this is a bit of a moan really!

I feel pretty much at my wits' ends right now. I appreciate that I could be in a whole lot more pain than I am in currently but that doesn't change the fact that I am in pretty much constant pain and that it affects my sleep most nights.

Painkillers don't do anything but I keep my codeine to take at bedtime as they make me a bit groggy so help me to sleep.

The GP put me on naproxen a week ago, but of course I can't feel any difference.

I have been going to physio again and have had 5 sessions of accupuncture to no effect.

Last Friday the pain was bad enough that if I had not been on summer holiday I could not have gone to work. I spent the afternoon on the couch on codeine! The weekend wasn't much better but I managed to go for my daily walk.

I am walking everyday and swim most weekdays. I am aware that keeping active is the best thing so that is what I am trying to do. I do have a sneaky feeling that swimming is making me worse though. It doesn't hurt extra when I do it but I do notice that generally by Monday when I haven't been for two days I feel slightly better. Should I ditch the swimming? Bit of a dilema because it is my favourire exercise and all the medical folks say to keep doing it depite the pain. I guess it could not be related?

The second opinion guy says this could be as good as I get. So my question is how do I deal with this? How am I going to manage at work? There is no "wriggle" room at work - I am a teacher so have to teach, plan and mark. I am really afraid that my return in September will be the final straw. I feel bad enough on a "good" day and only just managed to cope in the last term.

Sorry to maon folks! I just don't want to be stuck like this forever but have a horrible idea that I might.

The thing is I am sure that this is all down to the infection and if only someone would listen to me maybe it would get sorted out. ARGH!!!

Thanks for listening guys!

• HI,
    That line about loose screws jumped out at me! If the latest MRI shows loose screws, that could be a big part of the problem! As for swimming, I think it's great, but what strokes are you doing? After my spine surgeries, I can only do the side stroke without causing pain, as if I stretch out to swim, my lower back goes into spasms.
    See what the dr says about the MRI, and go from there..
  • Hi Frannie and thanks for the reply,

Over the last couple of days I have started to think maybe it is the screws causing the pain I have now. At least if that is the case it is easily (or sort of) fixed! My surgeon has already said that if I can't live with the pain taking them out is the next thing but I think I might suggest a hardware block first.

As for swimming I do front crawl mostly. I have to say that it was hard immediately post op and after each flare up but I can do a mile no problem. I am supposed, according to my doc, to go back to life as normal and that does mean swimming each weekday for me. I thought I should test myself properly! Before this latest flare up I tried tumble turns but that did cause me grief on that evening so I gave that up as a bad job!

Anyway I have a follow up appointment in a fortnight so I will see how that goes.

Thanks again