Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why should one not use a T.E.N.S on one who has a Harrington Rod implanted??

Charlie76CCharlie76 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
Hi All,

I will get straight to the point. My wife has a harrington rod all along her spine. She has good days managing pain but, then there is some severely bad days. I feel helpless at times and give her daily massages but, feel it's not enough. I heard about the T.E.N.S and purchased a device @CVS but, it states it should not be used on people with metal implants. Does anyone no why?

Thank you

• if i could use my acticare TENS after my ALIF fusion and he said yes no problem .and i will have implant in my spine .but as they are none ferrous {titanium} they should not react with any TENS UNIT
    TENS is only local even mine even on the TSE mode its safe to use .the only time you can't use a TENS is with a heart in built defibrillator and never use with the electrodes across your chest /neck .if in doubt contact your TENS manufacturers.
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • What you want to watch is the lead placement. Don't place the leads directly on the spine. The leads should be placed on the muscle off the sides. If it is a 4 paddle placement make a X. So on each lead wire if it has two paddles, Place one on the right higher and then one on the left lower. Then take the next lead placement and place one on the left higher and one on the right lower. If it is a two lead placement do the same in a smaller place. But just don't place the leads on the hardware or the spine, as they are designed to help muscle spasms. The one I came was delivered to me and that is how the rep showed me to use it.