Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy surgery done n how do you know you get reherniation disc?

jennytranjjennytran Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi friends,

I had surgery 07-29-11 microdisecotomy on l5-s1 . While I stay In hospital one night the dr. And nurse asking how was your pain level well to me after we all get any kind surgery your body in pain after that so my pain 7-8 so they give me pain medicine while I am still at hospital but soon I get home I total off the pain Medicine right alway because I think I can handle the pain . But first day I get home from hospital I can't barely seat down toilet I felt pain on my buttock to my leg like muscles straing but each day by day my pain on my leg better n better so I can seat down on toilet but now five days out of surgery already my pain on my buttock n left leg still pain that I can handle no need pain medicine . I question concern is how do you know you get reherniation? Cause some people after surgery they still on medicine and some will take off slowly . Please any friends here tell me more detail I appreciate it . Even thought I don't take any pain medicine since I got back home from surgery but I still felt pain on my buttock n my left leg .

• Hi Jenny,

You are just starting the recovery phase from surgery. I had this type of surgery, but at a different level than you. It takes time for the nerves to settle down and not give the pain you had prior to surgery. It is also not uncommon for some of the pain to return for a bit while you are recovering. The nerves don't like being moved around, poked around or what ever the surgeon needed to do make sure no more disc material was pressing against the nerve. So, these things do take time and there can be some bumps in the road with the nerves getting back to normal.

I am hoping you will have a follow-up appointment with your surgeon in a few weeks. But, if you are feeling like something is not right I would call the surgeon's office and tell them your concerns. In the mean time, be careful not to bend, lift or twist. I hope that your doctor gave you a list of things you can and cannot do until you see him/her.

I hope sharing my experience with this surgery has helped put your mind at ease. I am not a doctor so if you have concerns you should call. That is what they get paid the big bucks for. : )

Take care,
  • Welcome to spine health! I had a two level discectomy 4 weeks ago. It is very normal to feel pain in your buttocks and leg after surgery. The surgeon did alot of moving things around during surgery and this can irritate the nerve.You will also still have pain from the incision itself. It takes some time for things to settle down. Make sure when you sit and get up to use your knees and leg muscles and keep your back straight. Please don't do any BLT's (bending, lifting, twisting) I still use a cane and it helps me to stand up from a sitting position. If you have a grabber, it is helpful to pick up things that are low down. If you have pain, don't be afraid to take pain medication, so that the pain doesn't get ahead of you.

In terms of knowing if you have reherniated, I'm really not sure. You are very early out from surgery though, so you need to give your body time to heal. Try to take frequent walks, with rest in between.
    You will get there.
    Take care, and please keep us updated on your recovery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi friends

I am very appreciate for all yours reply my concern and give me alot advise . I am current not doing anything at home all I do walking and resting . All House work my roommate and husband take care. I did walking every 15 min from resting . I dont have problem walking but only problem sitting and get up from lying down . So I only sitting 5 minutes and stand up walking . My another question is when can I be able walk around my neighbor area? Cause now I can walk arounds house 30 min to 1 hours without pain. If any friends here went thru and give me more advise on this . Thanks you