Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another young newbie

IritAriellaIIritAriella Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey there everybody! I am so grateful to find this website. I had my first microdiscectomy (L5SI) when I was 16 years old. I still have numbness down my leg and foot and pretty consistent low back pain from the arthritis that has developed around the surgery site. I'm currently 26.

In May of this year, I was in a car wreck two days before my wedding. I have a disc herniation at C3C4, a bulging C5C6 and central cord syndrome. I've taken vicodin, oxycodone and pregnesone so far. Nothing has seemed to help. I've been in a C-collar for the past 2 months, which is getting really uncomfortable and itchy. I've got an appointment with the neurosurgeon in two weeks to discuss treatment.

I'm in graduate school and have had to struggle this term to keep up with my school work while woozy on pain meds, trying to keep my head up for 3 hours at a time to attend classes. I can't drive, so I am taking public transit an hour each way to class-which is not the most pleasant for my neck. I feel isolated from all of my peers who don't understand how hard it is for me to deal with all of this.

I've retained a personal injury lawyer to help with this whole mess. I am so nervous that it will get messy because of my preexisting back issues. If I don't get a settlement, I have no idea how I will pay the mounting healthcare costs. My student insurance is basically crap and has never covered anything related to my back.

We went ahead with the wedding and my new husband has been amazingly supportive. However, he doesn't really understand the pain I'm going through and I need a community of people who can relate to me. I feel a bit better just writing all of this out.
I will try and be a good newbie and not post questions without first searching the vast database and threads first. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully we can be of some comfort to each other.
Thanks for reading

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have certainly taken on alot as a newlywed and having severe pain issues.. it is very difficult for a person, no matter how much they love us, to understand what chronic pain is all about if they don't have any.. you should feel so much better coming to another new home!!! SH can feel like that! please have a good look around and make yourself at home.. i do hope you have some good news with your doctor's appointment and a treatment plan..i want to wish you the best of luck with your school work.. i know that despite that pain issues you will get through!! all the best to you and your new husband! Jenny :)
  • Hi Irit,

First of all CONGRATS on all your accomplishments thus far! You seem to have the determination to get through most anything. Good luck with your new endeavors.

I am thsnkful to have found this forum and looking forward to hearing that you are doing better each day.

• Welcome to spine health! Congrats on your wedding!
    Glad that you have obtained a personal injury lawyer to help you. I understand how you feel about peers not understanding what we go through. You have come to the right spot as we all "get it"

Wishing you all the best at your neurosurgeon appointment. Please try to get more than one opinion as well if you can.Hopefully they will come up with a plan to help relieve your pain.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Are you out of school now for the summer?

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Irit,

Congratulations on your wedding! Welcome to the group. We're here for you. You've been through so much. I'm amazed you've been able to keep up with school at all! Wearing a collar so long can weaken neck muscles and make things worse. Its good you're seeing a neurosurgeon. I hope he comes up with a good plan. If he recommends surgery its good to get a second opinion.
    Let us know what happens. You're not alone here.
    Best wishes for some relief.
  • It was so nice to read such kind words from people who get it. I look forward to engaging more in this community. I'll keep you updated when I see the neurosurgeon. Thanks again!