Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any tips on calming my tailbone pain?

Mrs_WoodyMMrs_Woody Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
Omg how stupid can I be

I never wear heels because of my back but we went out on Saturday for my birthday and I thought just once wouldn't hurt as I wanted to dress up

Hubby is 6ft and I am only 5'4 so it's nice to be nearer his level sometimes

What a huge mistake - I had shoes with a big chunky heel - not stilletoes so thought I would be ok

My foot slipped to one side while I was walking and wrenched my left side, I felt a searing pain just over my waistline and it took me all my time not to cry out

When I woke up this morning it took me about half an hour to get out of bed and stand up - I feel like I have been repeatedly kicked in the tailbone and under my buttocks. I get this pain anyway but not normally this bad. Hoping I haven't made my disc worse - leg pains are much worse today too

I haven't gotten upset about my pain for ages but I cried for ages this morning because i am so damn frustrated with it all and this tipped me over the edge

Anyone got any tips on calming my tailbone down?

I don't take painkillers I've been given as they don't help and GP refused nerve pain mess as he says they won't help (it's because they are too expensive and I am in UK so on NHS)

I will never be so stupid again :-(

• Oh that tailbone pain! I know that feeling all to well. It is especially painful for me when I have been sitting up (which I try to avoid, I generally lean on hip or lounge). Upon standing up the pain just rips right through my tailbone like a knife. Do you get that sort of feeling? Reading your signature line, you have a lot of similiar things going on with your lumbar area.

I was hoping that my discectomies would help my tailbone pain, but... no.

I see that you already use ice, that is what I would recomend. Have you ever had any injections for your tailbone?I have not tried them for the tailbone, just for my lumbar area, but will definately be asking about them when I go back to see my doctor.

Happy belated birthday! Hope that you were able to enjoy your birthday night out before your slip.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks Karen - we hadn't been out long when I jarred myself - we had popped in morrisons before going out for dinner and it happened there so I had to sit through the meal in quiet agony :-(

The tailbone pain is one of the worst I think - when I sit I feel like it's on fire - also deep in my buttocks - nerve pain is awful isn't it!

I haven't had any injections at all - my ortho offered me surgery 2 yrs ago when the pain first started but I refused as I hadn't tried any other treatment and it did settle down on it's own. He only wanted to operate because he felt I should have been running around with the kids instead of crippled but that wasn't a good enough reason for me

Not sure where I'm heading this time - have asked my gp to refer me to neuro instead of ortho as I have been told they are more willing to try other treatments and better with nerve pain. Starting physio next week so hoping to find some exercises etc that might help. I am also considering trying inversion but worried I might make it worse.

How are you getting on after your surgery?

• Have you tried any of the good tailbone pillows? I didn't get a lot of relief from some of the foam ones, but a firmer gel cushion actually did give me relief. I actually keep it at work now for just in case moments.

Hope you can get some relief soon!
  • I will have a look for a gel cushion tonight - thanks for the advice.

Today the pain was agonising - took me 2 hours to get out of bed cos hubby wasn't here to help

Didn't settle down til 2 after numerous ice massages, anti-inflammatories and muscular cream

Think i must have damaged the muscle as anti inflams & cream don't help my usual nerve pain

I was walking around with an ice bag down the back of my jeans this afternoon (on my tailbone) and a delivery man came to the door. Cos the ice was wrapped in a big towel (couldnt get upstairs to get a smaller one) he looked at me really strangely then i realised I looked like I had a huge lumpy bum lmao

Amazing how much severe pain can change your perspective on the 'normal' pain. Even though my nerves are screaming it doesn't seem as bad compared to this morning!

hope we all get some proper relief soon

This discussion has been closed.