Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Taken off Cymbalta

graciegirlggraciegirl Posts: 249
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
that I had been on for my CTD and Fibro a year and a half ago. Could this be the increase in nerve pain that I am now feeling?

• Gracie,

Yes it could increase your nerve pain. Not sure what strength you were on and how long, but you might also experience some with draw symptoms coming off this medication. I had to be taken off it when I developed bladder issues, while it was not the problem it has been known to cause bladder issues. I was on 60mg twice a day, and it was a bit rough coming off it. Hopefully you will have no issues. Why did they take you off the med, and did they offer up a replacement to deal with the nerve pain?
  • this is short as we have to get on the road.

MY PD just put me back on Cymbalta.

We'll see if it helps any.

My preop is today. We'll see about that too.

Hope you all have a good low pain day!

• Hi Gracie,
    I have been taking cymbalta for three years and at one point the doctor thought I could come off it. I attempted the decrease dosing regimen and whooooooooooooooo. The withdrawals were horrific. Brain zaps, sweating, irritability, shaking and many more. How did you get off the cymbalta? I have only been on 60 mg a day for the past three years. Coming off it now is not a option for me since the pain increased with the lower doses, which means the cymbalta was doing its job. I was just curious when I read your post.
    Have a great day
  • Hi Sheryl,

I had a neurologist,(not for my back/neck) two years ago take me off almost everything except my BP meds and prn pain killers as needed. It was to treat my insomnia. He wanted me to go cold turkey but did it my own way. My withdrawel was not so bad except now I am quite depressed mainly due to my radiculopathy being back again. I was on 60 mg a day but started taking only 30 mg for one week and then the following week only 30 mg every other day. I would not tell you to try this just that that's what I did. I did have other things exacerbate my neck this past April but don't know if not taking the cymbalta played into that any this far down the road. Why do you want to go off of it? My Primary Doc just put me back on it but I haven't started it yet as I'm still deciding what all to do. Uh. Life is fun sometimes, eh?

Hope you're doing okay today. Keep me poste, eh?

Gentle Hugs,
  • I would not go off it now due to my most recent injury, but I wanted off of it about six months ago due to the side effects and long term effects that the medication has. Plus I thought I was much better and really did not need it. I think it does help with depression that comes along with the pain. I also, think it gives me a who cares attitude when really I should react differently.
    I tried everyother neuropathic pain medication and Cymbalta was the only one that worked for me. I was so glad to of found it back then. I am glad I have it now I know it helps along with the pain medicine.
    I hope you are feeling well today.... The sun is shining here :)