Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moderate to Large Osteophyte C5-C6

Jewel2005JJewel2005 Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Moderate to Large Osteophyte C5-C6

Has anyone had a moderate to large osteophyte with disc desiccation impinging on the spinal cord and a moderate stenosis at the c-6 level? If so what are your symtoms. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

• Well, it would be unfair for me to answer you because I had all that, but at C4-7, three levels. You're best bet is to check out a dermatome map and see what areas are affected by that level of herniation.

What symptoms are you having and why do you ask? Are you unsure of a diagnosis?

• I had osteophytes pushing on the spinal cord and extra cartilage growth around foramen causing severe foraminal stenosis. The funny part is that my symptoms were not typical of C5/6 complex. Most people complain about arm pain or hand/finger pain and I had terrible shoulder, upper back, neck and headaches. The headaches also caused , blurred vision, vertigo and nausea for me. After the surgery, my flare ups sometimes mimic the same symptoms prior to surgery.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I've had the same symptoms. They are awful. Thanks for your response.
  • I actually wanted to see if my symptoms were the same as others with this spine issue. It's just that doctors don't seem to have the answers as to what my symptoms have been. Thanks for your response.
  • I have 4 bone spurs pushing on the nerve w C5-6 and C6-7 causing severe right arm radiculopathy. The radiculopathy has gotten a teeny bit better but now I am having more neck pain, upper back and mid back pain going on. Not sure what is happening.

Hope it eases up for you.

• Sounds like you have muscle spasms and nerve pain in your upper back. Mine was so bad I couldn't barely walk and keep my head up. Have you had surgery for it? By the way I had so much muscle spasms in my upper back that it was causing me to have lower back pain. I didn't know that was go on in the upper back can effect your lower back. Now I have sciatica pain on my left leg. Good thing exercise has helped a lot for it.
  • My first fusion was C5/6, while most of it was "disk" issues on the cord, I also had an "osteophyte complex" in there helping to push the disk back.

Symptoms...I had some neck pain, a little shoulder pain, biceps pain (that was a biggie), a little forearm pain, and my index finger would hurt, especially if I tried to raise my arm above my shoulder. Keep in mind, most of my "symptoms" even though on the cord, were due to the osteophytes messing with my exit nerve - so I was a mix.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi, C-Spiney's,

I have multiple osteophytes with degeneration for past 5 years at C6/7 onto T-1/2. C-3 thru C-6 is post-surgically fused since 1995 (bone implant no hardware) and have some ridging occurring, and difficult to see degree of nerve root compression in that area.

With severe progression of DDD and updated MRI, CT scan of C-6/7 in Nov. 2011 now described as multiple "mass osteohytes formation" with advanced radiculopathy / neuropathy symptoms on left arm (forearm/hand/fingers) ulnar nerve most severe with muscle weakness/wasting first 6 months, and now median and radial nerves affecting hand dysfunction and loss of all fingers movement/dexterity occuring.

Because of complex issues in my c-spine (deformity, post-surgery, scoliosis, etc) getting surgical assessments has been challenging and unfortunately I am losing so much of left arm nerves & muscles could very well be considered permanent damaged.

My right arm beginning symptoms of muscle cramps and some weakness in hand, so know the compression is now changing from previous "moderate narrowing" most likely progressing to more advanced compression of right side nerve roots.

I have levoscoliosis, angled curvature in C-3 thru C-6 post-surgical levels "with ridging" and I suspect to is contributing nerve compression pathology as well.

This is the most devastating phase of my spinal journey since first spine surgery ACDF in 1995 which successful removed three spurs encroaching spinal cord. Now losing my arms/hands/fingers and appearing I could very well be forced to "live with" versus having complex anterior and posterior (front and back approach) surgeries with complex instrumentation and low prognosis for neuropathology.

Not a good situation, but thought I'd share and give an update as a learning experience for where neuropathology can go from C-Spine Nerve Root Compression.

Wishing you well in your assessments and diagnostics.