Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can someone please help me ..

heather2055hheather2055 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello My name is Heather I am a 38yr old with degenative disc in my cervical neck and now the thoracic area I have bulging and protrusion from c-1 to c-7 and bone spurring on all the left in the last yr i have had problems with the thoracic area and i am always in ALOT of pain dr. don't want to give me anything for pain because i told him i didn't want to get addicted to anything due to family history but now really need something..as of yesterday i was told that i had mild degenerative changes or arthritis.Foraminal encroachment at c-3 and 4 may indicate nerve impingement and if symptoms persist would recommend f/u and possibly mri.. What is a F/U? and how long do that make u wait to see if this persist its already been a yr and is getting worse...I CAN'T TAKE THE PAIN..Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Sincerely Heather


  • I would definitely recommend you get an MRI. F/U is an abbreviation for follow-up.

    I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. You need to find a good neurosurgeon as well as a pain management doctor. I can understand your fear of becoming addicted, but research has shown that when you are truly in pain, the chances of becoming addicted to the pain meds are much lower.

    I've been dealing with my pain since October 2010, when I injured my back lifting my daughter. Felt a pop and had an MRI, which showed degenerative disc disease and several thoracic herniations. I just had surgery 4 weeks ago, so I'm still recovering from that.

    As I said before, my best advice would be to find a neurosurgeon who specializes in the spine. I was able to find a surgeon who specializes in the thoracic spine. I have to drive an hour and a half to see him, but it's worth the drive.

    I hope you are able to find some relief soon. Gentle (((hugs))) to you!
  • Greetings, and Welcome to Spine Health!! As Kim said, "F/U" might well be 'follow up' based on maybe the need for an MRI. "Foraminal encroachment at c-3 and 4 may indicate nerve impingement" is basically stating that the this doctor is seeing something (what we don't know what) that might be causing issues in your foremen (the exit hole in your spine for nerve roots) and causing you problems.

    The MRI sees soft tissue, and too can help "see" if indeed there is entrapment or other issues causing your pain. The MRI is only part of the picture. Exam, electrical studies (some surgeons like them), MRI or other tests make the puzzle put the pieces together. I hope you have answers soon. Please let us know how it goes. Again, welcome aboard!!

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
Sign In or Register to comment.