Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to all this

mykull1918mmykull1918 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Pain Management
i am glad i found this site all this is new to me and a little overwhelming.I am 36 year old male and have had bone spurs in my foot for about 6 years.I recently owned a Bar and was lifting a keg and felt something actually crack i in my back and i hit the deck.I was in pain but didnt go to a doctor cause i was working endless hours trying to keep my new business afloat.I eventually had an issue with the landlord of the property and i am involved in a court battle.I know had time to go to the doctor to get my foot and back looked at.x rays on my back came back negative but my foot had massive bone spurs.My doctor set up an MRI and the results were that i had 2 herniated discs and 3 bulging discs and disc tear leaking some type of fluid and a disc going into a nerve.She gave me flexeral and percocet 5-325.(the tylenol makes me sick)so i have to go to a pain management place.my back has been really bad the past few weeks and i get no sleep.i literally have tears in my eyes when i try to position myself so i can sleep..I have been on the meds for about 3 weeks and its not helping.I am like a zombie,a zombie in alot of pain.So what should i expect from pain management??????Is this injury i have supposed to be this painful????I was stabbed in the arm before right through and this is way more painful even with meds.So right now i am in pain,on no sleep,and feel like im gonna throw up from the asprin in the pain meds.Would really love 5 hours sleep.I am hoping this pain management place will help................Mike
advertisement

Comments

• I just finished with pain managment. At first they did help with the use of cortisone epidermals into the spine that reduces the swelling and pressure on the nerves. As far as the medication goes well that seems to change from place to place. Some places will treat you with what ever you need up to morphine and fentenl patchs others like mine will not. I really don't know why other than the rumors I have heard about them loosing there licenses or are scared the DEA will bust down the door. All I can say is ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS ON EVEVERYTHING, IF YOU GET THE RUN AROUND OR THEYIGNORE YOUR QUESTION I WOULD LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. I did not and after 2 years and 4 trips to the ER with the last one almost killing me I got rid of them.

I wish you the best of luck, but you have to keep control of it. In the area of MD where I live the hospitals get a lot of buisness from a few pain managment places and none from others.
  • Mike,

Like many others on this site, been there done that. My Lazy Boy is still my favorite place to get a good nights sleep. :)

As to your question about the injury being painful.. Injuries to the nerves and spine can be excruciatingly painful as you are unfortunately discovering. And by having a disk or two impacting your nerves or spine is causing them injury.

The success of PM depends on a lot of factors; and might or might not help. Prior to my back surgery, no amount of PM could relieve the pain, and I went into surgery welcoming a chance to at best minimize the pain. Since surgery, PM has done wonders to keep what little pain is left in check.

Most likely, the doc is trying to resolve your pain using conservative treatments such as injections (ESI) and/or burning the nerve(s) (RFA). Either procedure is normally outpatient and relatively painless. There are some great articles and videos on conservative treatments on this site. The doc might even suggest physical therapy.

Keep in mind the PM doc might come to the conclusion that conservative treatment will not resolve your pain and quality of life issues and recommend surgery. One question you might want to ask is, at what point will PM and conservative treatment be considered a bust; and more aggressive treatment to include (possibly) surgery be considered.

Best of luck, and I hope you get at least some relief from your PM doc.

Curt

View my history for all the gory details.
  • If the disc is leaking usualy time for surgery. Not sure why they even sending you to the pain clinic instead of seting up surgery. And back surgery wont be an easy one so best of luck.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Im sorry you're feeling a lot of pain & I can understand you are also under a lot of stress with your business. Try to eat something when you take your meds. Something with some substance like oatmeal or something like that, it should help with the nausea some. As far as your back, try rotating an ice pack & heating pad. Ice reduces swelling & heat relaxes muscles. I'm not sure how your doc perscribed your meds but I take my flexeril & vicoden at the same time, ice my back, & relax until they kick in. I was having the same problems of the meds not being enough so he added morphine ER & now I take the vicoden for break thru pain & the morphine is my base. Anyways, now I have learned how to take them that benefits my pain. My doc is completely on board with it because we know our bodies & our pain. Try to talk to him & let him know its not controlling your pain. I hope you are getting a good pm doc. I love mine now that we are on the same page so to speak. Just remember he/she is there to manage your pain so don't be afraid to let him/her know when something isn't working for you. I feel for you & I hope you the best!
advertisement