Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

California Medi-Cal

Friend of Bill WFFriend of Bill W Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
I recently lost our insurance due to both the recession and my medical problems.
I've applied for medi-cal and am nervous that if me and my family do get approved that we wont get the best care! Anyone have experience with similar situation? I've been self employed all my life and now have been suffering from chronic pain for almost 4 years. I have recently come to the conclusion that I may not get better from this episode and find it increasingly harder to keep a positive outlook!
I am new to this forum and dont have recent medical diagnosis , so I dont know how to post at the bottom my medical description. Laymen's terms 1999 l;3 l;4 fusion which was successful, DDD and my neck has approximately 4 or 5 bulging or herniated disk's. My lower back also now has disc's that are failing due to the load put on them after surgery 12 yrs ago. I have been on methadone now for 3 years and my tolerance is also way up ! Looking forward to anyone's help or suggestion!
I just wanted to say also that i appreciate this forum and all that participate.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You've found a great place for information and support.

I don't know about medi-cal, but I did apply and get approved for the state health program in Colorado that covers those with pre-existing conditions because I was turned down by two other agencies. I could only afford the plan with the extremely high deductible, but I did get good care. I was able to continue to use my current surgeon and PCP.

My hubby wasn't covered under this insurance - we got him a decent provider since he has no health issues and any insurance would accept him.

I'm sorry I couldn't contribute much, but I guess the best thing to do is to research what is covered by medi-cal, if you're limited in which docs you can choose, etc.

Good luck to you and I'm sorry that you're having to face these troubles. But luckily, we'll be here to support you when you need it.

• HI MB,

I live in Missouri and have insurance through the missouri state self insured fund. The plan is not cheap by any means the only thing that is good is I can see any doctor, I choose, and sense it is run through BCBS and works like a PPO, I have had no issues with anyone taking it. The other plan you can look at is the Healthcare reform act, offers insurance but the premiums are up in price, as well, but cheaper than the state run programs, in my experience. If you google health care reform act and California you will find the number for you state. One of the qualifer's is you couldn't have had insurance for the last 6 months. Good luck and I hope you get the care you need.
This discussion has been closed.