Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

practicing for work return

catccat Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I'm hoping to return to Ed Tech job at school Aug. 29th. I'm 11 weeks from ACDF and am worried whether in Aug. I can last a 7 hour work day. So i decided to practice a similar pattern now at home. I find that by 2PM my body wants to lie down to rest. I'm resisting and staying up until 3PM, which in September would be the end of the school day. Has anyone else tried this....I know I still have 3 weeks more of recovery time, so should I keep staying awake each day until 3PM or just give in for now and rest at 2PM? Thanks to all.

• Cat,
    I am in a similar situation, although I have the option of returning to work part-time, here just four weeks after surgery if okay with my surgeon.

My thinking is to listen to your body and don't push yourself. The mind wants you to do things the body isn't ready for, and I think that is so you get used to the idea of doing more before you actually can. Try backing off another week, taking that nap when you need it, and see if you can naturally stay awake until past 2 p.m. I found that the extra week made a big difference for me.

Another thing that we have to be mindful of when we return to work is that we may not feel equally well for five days strung together. Since I have not returned to work, I don't know what that is going to be like, and that is why I'll start on a part-time basis.

As always, this is not intended to be medical advice, but is my opinion based on my own thoughts and personal experience.
  • Thanks...good advice....it's the trapezius tightness that worries me the most returning to work...that constant knot wears me out ....do you have that tightness? I'm afraid using my arms more at work on copier, etc. will set if off even more...so I'm practicing those motions at home now....do you have trapezius tightness on one side? I'm using heat, ice, and PT, but I can't do that at work..thanks so much
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey cat,
    From previous experience I agree with Ebby, rest is very important in healing as it is with just anyone who hasn't gone through any surgery at all. We all want to get back up to speed and at times when we feel really good we push ourselves too far and then we suffer the setback and possibly losing what we had previously gained. Every day matters so get the rest you need and in three weeks you will be surprised at the difference.
  • Cat,
    It sounds like you would benefit from discussing your concerns with your PT, assuming you are actively seeing one. If not, consider getting an evaluation that will cover your concerns about returning to work. Taking positive action will help relieve your worry, which will in turn help your discomfort. You may be able to find some resources that you can use at work, as well as some advice on body mechanics you haven't considered yet.

Have you searched on YouTube for exercises that can be done at work? Also, I have a "rice bag" that can be tossed in the microwave and thrown across my shoulders to relieve pain in the trapezius area. I am also able to tolerate a small dose of Flexeril during the day if other efforts don't work.

Talk with your surgeon about what kind of support you need at work so that you get what you need from your employer, and get it documented if you have to. If you've never advocated for yourself, this is an excellent opportunity to start. My guess is you can find other threads or blogs on this site that address the concerns any of us might have about returning to work after surgery.

One last note: there are a number of members here who aren't able to work and who are limited in the activities they can do at home. It puts people like you and me in a very fortunate group who simply have to find new ways to do what we want and need to do.

Chin up, and let me know what you discover!
  • Well said, Ebby, I'll try all your suggestions..thanks.
  • We are all different but rest is the best thing for recovery. I have had 3 fusions, 360 L4/L5, L1 to L5 and just recently L5/S1. The first 2 fusions I was able to return to work after 3 weeks with the doctors ok. The last one was more complicated and I was out of work for 6 weeks. I get tired at work and try to get enough rest during the week and as much as I can on the weekends. I was very active before surgery and I am sure that helped with my recoveries. I walk and swim. I was and still am in PT so that gets me off work a little early on PT days and that helps!!

Good luck. Get rested up before you need to return to work. And please keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • wow, you have been through alot. thanks for the advice ....continued good progress to you...you have done well to return to work so early. Guess I shouldn't complain.
  • Lots of rest now. Plenty of time to go thru the routine when you return.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.