Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trigger Point Injection for Headaches

mssusanmmssusan Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Fibromyalgia
I was wondering how painful these injections are since they need to move the needle around in the muscle? Acupuncture sends me through the roof pain and anxiety wise so I'm not sure I could tolerate this procedure.

I have daily tension? headaches and cervical disk damage and doc suggested injections since most meds and other therapy's haven't helped.

• The trigger point injections aren't that bad, just like getting a normal injection. They contain anesthetic, so it will make you numb, I'm usually numb from my earlobes to my shoulders for a few hours after, and although my arms don't go numb, they are rubbery and weak, because my shoulders go numb. I find they help with my muscle spasms, helping the tension in my neck. I also get occipital injections, which are meant to help with headaches as well. Those are in the skin on the back of your skull, right near where that little bump is on the back of your head. It numbs the occipital nerves. That could be something you might want to ask about and try as well. My pm said that a lot of his patients get automatic relief with them from their headaches, while mine never really goes away, it does help lessen it. Anyways, hope you go for it, we have to try all avenues to get relief, right? As you should get a driver to take you anyways, maybe take something for anxiety before you go. Good luck!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I had a question Numbskull-

When they did the trigger point injection did they move the needle around in the muscle or did they just inject the medicine(s)? I don't think my body would handle the after effects if they do have to move the needles around to "trigger" the point. Pain meds do nothing for me.

The doc's think I do have occipital neuralgia so that type of injection might help also.

• I have had so many trigger point injections that I've lost track!

Each doctor has a different method I think, mssusan; the doctor who gives me the best result actually does move the needle around in the muscle, but it's just a "pulling" sensation for the most part, then pain if the spasm releases. But it's short lived, and the relief I've had for neck and back pain is amazing. When the needle is just put in and out, I don't get nearly the same relief.

If you struggle with anxiety, would they consider giving you Atavan or something before the injections to help you out?

• I just had one today and it made my arm feel numb even down to my leg. I don't understand why. The doctor gave it to my for cervical disc damage and the horrible headaches I've been having after acdf at c5-6. I hate this surgery, I think I should've done the laser spine instead or pt.
This discussion has been closed.