Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Discectomy/Decompression Day 5 post Op

Jodenice1JJodenice1 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all!! After a previous post complaining about how a cortisone injection had made my sciatica much worse, I was admitted to hospital 1st Aug in excruciating agony and had a discectomy in the afternoon.

I woke up and was amazed to feel no sciatic leg or buttock pain. 5 days later and there's still nothing there. However I have started to get lower back pain, to the right of my surgical site, midway to my hip on the other side. I've never had it there before and I hope hope hope it's just all part of healing and inflammation.

Yesterday was a disaster though. These surgical stockings are so slippy on my wooden floors and I ended up falling - and BENDING almost double. I spent a long time in tears last night convinced I'd undone all te good work. I'm hoping that I would know - or there would be some pain? My surgical site is sore but it's not agony. If I had reherniated would I feel it? I am torturing myself here!

I live on my own and I'm trying really hard to follow all the rules. I take 3 or 4 flow walks of about ten mins a day and spend te rest of the time lying down and doing my exercises. Sitting is still too uncomfortable.

My wound being checked in just over a week and starting hydrotherapy physio 23rd August.

I am trying to keep myself positive by reading how you are all doing too, good luck to all of you! X

• I would not worry too much. If you fell and if you would of had fusion then i would worry. Just mention it to your dr in case he thinks it could be a concern. Hopefully you will heal up and everything will resolve itself from there on. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Welcome to the other side! Glad to hear that your leg and buttock pain is all gone that is awesome! The pain that you are feeling around the incission site could be from inflamation, from all the pulling and proding during surgery.With myself for the first week or two, I had pain and bruising, and swelling just from the surgery itself.

Please, please make sure to wear solid, comfortable shoes when you are up walking around. Glad to hear that you don't have any additional pain from your fall. I agree with Alex to let your doctor know about it.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts, continue your walking with frequent rests in between and don't do any BLT's.Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

gentle >:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi,im also 5 days post op l5-s1 disectomy,im also having pain to the right of my incision site sort of level with my hip and my discectomy was on the left.yesterday i wasnt sure if id rehernaited but today it feels sore but much better!i used a hot water bottle hoping it was just muscualr and it would help!im finding it hard to rest as i cant lie on my back to the surgical clips they used!ouch it hurts to try and lie on it,walking ive been doing too.the gp gave me diazapam(muscle relaxant)yestrday and that deff helps with the quite bad spasms and twinges i seem to get em worse on the loo lol:)thats how i thought id reherniated coz it piggin hurt at the time!!chin up no doubt u will be fine stressing will only make your muscles more tense (easier said than done i know)i live alone with my 11 year old daughter so its very hard trying not to do anything!luckily for me i was allowed to remove the stockings before i was discharged.do u really have to keep them on now?theyre leathal as you found out!ive also had a friend get me new slippers as mine had stretched beyond belief so i feel more stable on my feet.wishing you all the best!!and please keep updated as to how your doing!!nice to find some1 at the same position in recovery!!:) :)
  • im 35 year old male and after 10 years of chronic back and leg pain i had a posterolateral lumbar fusion L5 S1 and lumbar decompression L5 S1. The first 2 days post op i felt great and was walking without severe pain. sadly my right leg started to lose sensation and keeps shaking uncontrolably. I feel like im back to square one. im now spending 70 per cent of my time in a wheelchair as the pain is so bad. my surgeons answer to this was " you was warned pre op that this could happen" what do i do now?
  • alexhurting said:
    I would not worry too much. If you fell and if you would of had fusion then i would worry. Just mention it to your dr in case he thinks it could be a concern. Hopefully you will heal up and everything will resolve itself from there on. Good luck
    I'm gonna disagree and say "be concerned"
    since the disc is still in there and the fall happened when it was most vulnerable.

Agree with telling the dr about the fall.

Do the stockings not have grips glued to the bottoms of the feet? Why are the stockings being worn?

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Oh no, that sounds terrible! And frankly, 'I told you so' is not bloody good enough! When did the pain start again? After just two days? Can you speak to someone else? I have no medical knowledge but I would certainly be making a big nuisance of myself, without embarrassment - sadly you need to shout loudly to be heard sometimes. I'd also start your own individual thread - there are a lot of knowledgeable people onthis board who might have missed this post who can offer proper advice.

Cat - I agree, lovely to hear from someone on the same part of the journey!! How are you doing? Must be extra hard having to look after a child too, lovely as they are I can barely take care of myself! I'm living on toast and food that lovely friends & family are bringing round! :)

My back is still stiff and sore - and there's no way I can sit down for more than five mins, it feels too weird! But other than that I'm doing OK- touch wood! Had good nights sleep and my natural optimism coming back. I used to walk a couple of hours a day & I'm absolutely loving having some short walks. Being careful to not push too hard or do too much of course but it's so wonderful to walk without having to drop into a crouch every 3 steps!!

Thanks to everyone who replied, you set my mind at rest and stopped the panic that was threatening to overwhelm me, can't than you enough! Can't take these stockings off for another week but taking no chances and now wearing shoes too!!

• hi,im not too bad still cant sleep wivout getting stuck but once im up im doin ok.sitting hurts as does getting up from sitting lol.my daughter is pretty self sufficient in as much as an 11yr old can be so not too bad the animals are the prob!3 dogs,4 cats n horse!friends are doin the horse daughter walking the 2 dogs she can manage the gsd doesnt go out tho :( he doesnt pull much but there's a chance he will so i cant risk it.i walked them everyday before op pain or no pain lol,still hurts to walk same thing leg hurts but my limp appears to have gone.i hadnt thought itd be this painful after surgery bit silly really im in more pain now as the burning sciatica i had, had worn off and left me numbness and weakness the disc itself never hurt oddly first i knew of it was the sciatica.my right side however is still by far hurting the most dont know why lol its higher up than the op site on the left,glad to hear youre enjoying your walks i went yesterday with a crutch in 1 hand and an umbrella in the other it was pouring down lol..weird site..xx
  • Hi Jodenice! So glad to hear that things seem to be heading in the right direction since your fall. I would encourage you to call your surgeon to let him know. He may want you to come in for a x-ray. It's often better to "be on the safe side".

Glad to hear you are now wearing shoes with those lovely stockings. :) Just be careful when putting them on, that you aren't leaning forward or bending.

It's great that your walks are going well and you are enjoying them. Remember that you are early in the recovery process so be sure to rest, walk, eat, sleep, repeat.....

Wishing you a complete recovery! Shari
  • Hello all!

Well it's now been over a week. Still no sciatic pain although back is quite sore. Trying not to scare myself when a new pain occurs (yesterday my tailbone was hurting, today it's stopped!) as I guess it's all part of the healing process. My biggest fear is still reherniation, how easy is that to happen? I'm trying to walk a fine line between being too scared to move and wanting to walk for hours.

I'm doing about four or five 10 minute walks outside a day (a stroll in the sunshine totally boosts my mood!) and walking about the house. Still have to be careful not to twist or bend, I clearly have bad habits that need breaking. The rest of the time I'm sleeping or laying down reading. Have never slept so much!

I am going on holiday end of September. It's a two hour flight and I'm so looking forward to it. Just going to chill out and swim and go for nice meals (oink!). Eight weeks post op should be fine if I take it easy shouldn't it? I'll take a light case (that I won't lift!) and flat shoes.

Doing my exercises but can't wait to start PT at about 3 weeks. :)
  • It will be two weeks Monday since the op.

I've actually been a lot more tired in the last 3 days and have been sleeping a lot.

I've noticed in the last couple of days my back is hurting more when I go from sitting to standing and vice versa. It's right near my drain site, yo the left of my incision. I think it's muscular. I can't feel it so much when I'm walking about though. Still no sciatic pain.

It's just so hard to fathom what is normal! I never really had back pain beforehand. I'm hoping this is part of the healing process rather than me doing something wrong?
  • hi,how are doing now?we're around the same time post op.u still getting the weird unexplained pains?i to find the standing from sitting very difficult and walk sort of hunched up for a few minutes.getting out of bed is easier tho!i dont seem to be constantly clock watching for when i can take my next set of meds!and can go sometimes an hour or so over time before i think " i really need to take them now!"my mouth is full of ulcers from all the meds very annoying but i cant not take them and i cant tolerate very many types so im stuck with what ive got.hope your coming along!!:)
  • Hiya! Yep getting better everyday. Back still sore and feels a bit unsteady. Plaster came off and wound is neat and tidy, hope it won't scar too much. First physio appointment next week and I'm up and about more. Do keep noticing myself slipping into bad habits and trying to lean forwards but it hurts so makes me straighten back up! Finding it difficult to sit down, get in shower and get in and out of cars still though.

Honestly though, even if I had this everyday from now on I'd consider it a miracle swap from the non-stop screaming torment I had before!