Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Joining the Club

KristieMaureenKKristieMaureen Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,

Like everyone else here, I'm just so darn happy to have found this site! Having been in relatively good health my entire life, with the only surgery being a c-section, I feel like I've entered a whole new world where I need to learn an entirely new language and be fluent in it immediately, on top of trying to figure out how to adjust my lifestyle in this pre-surgery period and start thinking about the post-surgery period. Just... well thank you all for being here!

I'm 39, divorced, and have a 17 year old daughter. Professionally I'm a non-profit consultant as well as a domestic violence/sexual assault/child abuse victim advocate (just started my practice back in January after working in the field for 15 years). I actually think that making that work change, while creating its own challenges for this cervical experience, is going to be a huge help in terms of my flexibility though - funny how things start to line up sometimes :o)

On July 4th I woke up with a slight "kink" in my neck. I figured it was from sleeping wrong and went about my week as planned, which included started with a personal trainer at the gym. The pain didn't get any worse throughout the week, but on Saturday I woke to horrible left arm pain to the point that I couldn't lift it above shoulder height. Went to Urgent Care, prescribed vicodin and muscle relaxers, told to wait a week and that it was ok to keep going with the trainer, just no upper body work. The drugs took a hit on me as I don't take medication except for St. John's Wort to handle lovely perimenopausal symptoms. Just felt "fuzzy" and confused all week. By that next Monday all of the pain was back and then some,plus my entire right leg had gone numb. Called a nurse's hotline and they had me rush off to the ER. More vicodin, more muscle relaxers, but also a referral for an MRI and neurologist.

Had the MRI on 7/25 and the neurologist on 7/27. This particular neuro has a reputation of really pushing for non-surgical therapies so when he took one look at my scans and said "you need surgery", I was unnerved. He had me in with the neurosurgeon that same afternoon. I was told I have a 7-8mm disc extrusion at C5-6 with severe asymmetric left-sided spinal canal stenosis with left sided cord compression and cord displacement and "mass effect" on the left sided nerve roots of C6 and C7. Also showing mild disc bulging at C4-5 and 6-7. At this point I wasn't showing any signs of weakness, just left shoulder/neck/upper arm pain and the right leg numbness. The surgeon said we'd need to do ACDF, but as I'm currently uninsured the big issue was getting a hospital to let me use an OR. Took me off the vicodin and muscle relaxers and put me on oxycodone instead which is working much better for me. Definitely feeling more clear-headed.

A week and a half later I think I've found a solution to the insurance issue (the US Dept. of Health and Human Services offers pre-existing condition insurance under the new health care laws, so the application and premiums are mailed in and I should hear if I'm approved near the end of the month, which means I could be having surgery as soon as mid-September). Saw the PA today and I've developed some fun new symptoms...hyper-reflexiveness, clonus on the left foot, cervical headaches. We renewed the oxycodone and it's pretty much just a waiting game right now, so I'm figuring out how to adjust my activities to keep my pain low and not exacerbate the situation while still working, living.

What's completely odd is that, unlike so many of the posts I've seen here with similar injuries, I actually wasn't "injured". No car accidents, no falls, nothing. My surgeon suggested it was just my own unique brand of "bad luck" (thankfully he seems to have the same sick sense of humor I have as that statement had me laughing). I'm definitely not liking being on so much medication, the lethargy, or the impact this is having on my daily activities, but I am finding that I now make a pretty good party trick in and of myself ("poke Kristie here, see if she feels it" or "hit Kristie's knee here and watch what happens").

Anyway, that's the long version of my story. Thanks for reading and even more thanks for just all being here and sharing your own experiences and information. Definitely the best source I've found so far!

• Welcome and good luck with your surgery in September. Keep us updated how it goes for ya.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • to the group Kristie! I hope that your insurance issues are resolved quickly so that they can proceed with your surgery.

Have you had more than one opinion? Never hurts to have more than one from a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon. Did you also have a lumbar MRI or is your leg numbness definately the result of the problems with your c spine?

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.Keep that sense of humour!Party trick comment made me smile.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome! I know all about neck pain! I also didn't have a specific accident. I hope your insurance issues get worked out quickly and you can have surgery asap. The surgery for me wasn't that bad. I am 6 weeks post op and still having mid back burning pain and lower back pain (not sure why about the low back pain), but the actual surgery and initial recovery was not bad.

Funny... I have the opposite reaction. The oxycodone makes me all fuzzy and dizzy, but the vicodin does not!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I did have a second opinion though I'm not sure if either neurosurgeon I saw was fellowship trained. I just know they both have really good reputations in the local community. How would I go about finding that information?

Yes also on the lumbar MRI. We did three: brain, c-spine and l-spine. Brain was all there (yeah!) and clear. There's a small bulge at L5-S1 but without any stenosis or nerve impingement. No lower back symptoms at all. What I was told is that due to the way the disc is compressing my cervical spine more towards the left side, it's hitting the parts that travel down into/control the right leg.
  • Donnabe ~ Thank you for the welcome and I'm so glad to hear that your initial recovery went well! Also good to hear that vicodin works for someone as I was beginning wonder what the manufacturers of it were possibly thinking :)