Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Check up

elleHeelleH Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 3 weeks post op from 2 level ACDF having just come home after complications from another illness I have that worsened from the surgery but have been given no post op advice or appointment and wonder if this is normal or if I should chase this up...I was handed over to the medical team after initial surgery recovery so they were the ones who discharged me rather than the surgical team and when I questioned the Doctor about there being no appointment she said it was a simple operation so she couldnt see why the surgeons would want to see me again but if I was unhappy I could request it? It was as if I was being unreasonable asking? I didnt feel it was unreasonable and the operation didnt feel simple! I felt sure the surgical team had said they would discuss my possible future lumbar repair at my follow up appointment but now I'm wondering if it was the morphine!

• It seems strange that you don't have a follow-up with the surgeon to see how the fusion is coming. I'd call up the doctor's office and ask them about it and schedule an appointment.

If you get an appointment I'd bring your lumbar films with you. It looks like you'll have to be your own best advocate.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • That is odd. After my acdf, i saw my doc every two then every three weeks. With visits in between due to throat issues.

You should make an appointment. They need to take xrays each visit too
  • ell,

I agree with the other members. Most times there is a follow up 10-12 days post op to see how you're doing, and too most have x-rays so the surgeon can see if there is anything amiss in the hardware. (fusion usually isn't seen at this point). Many surgeons then see you around 6 weeks (more x-rays) to see if all is well, and to see if fusion has started.

Then from there, 6 months (x-rays again), and a year (x-rays again). Most are then released at that point. Some cut you loose at 6 months, others I've seen 2 years depending on what was done, and what is going on.

I'd give his office a call Monday morning and schedule a follow up, and yes bring your lumbar issues up at that appointment as well. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.