Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-op 360 lumbar fusion!

itsbettinaaaiitsbettinaaa Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm writing this post to both thank those who have helped me through my presurgical worries and to inform those who may be getting a 360 lumbar fusion. My spine issues are in the signature if you'd like to see what my story is. First I want it to be known that I am typing this on my iPhone and autocorrection isn't a good friend of mine.

So I had my 360 lumbar fusion of L4-L5 on July 25th. The surgery was around 5 hours long (I remember asking my mom how long it was about 15 times after coming out of anestesia but never remembering the answer haha). The surgery went as planned and was considered successful.

I was in the hospital for 7 days due to medical complications. I spiked a fever of 103.2 the night of the surgery. I was told it was very normal for people (especially younger patients[I'm 21]) to get fevers for the first 3 days or so after the surgery. I was kept for 7 days becuase my fever wouldn't go away, though it did drop to 99-101 for the last few days. I ended up being discharged with a fever and told to monitor it at home. It went away the day after I went home.

I also had some other issues like tachycardia and low blood levels that leas to a transfusion but it was the blood I donated before the surgery so I didn't care.

Now if you are still reading this, I didn't mean to frighten you away from the surgery. I seriously have none of the pain I had before the surgery(I'm hoping I don't jinx myself!). It is so amazing to wake up and only have the post op stiffness and slight incision pain but none of that sharp stabbing stuff from before. I go for my first post op appointment next week and I just want to give my surgeon a big hug and thank him for saving me from a life of pain.

Before the surgery I was so scared and trying to fond all the information I could about this surgery and I have read so much helpful stuff and have been able to message so many helpful people and I need to say thank you! Thank you to everyone who has ever sent me a message, replied to my posts, or even posted a question that I had. Thank you!

If you have any questions regarding the surgery, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to help you!

• Wow you're doing so well early in your recovery. Isn't it great to be rid of the pre-surgery pain!

It'll take time to heal and you'll be tempted to do a little more than you should at times, but your back will soon let you know.

In the meantime, keep resting and doing short walks and any stretches that the hospital physio has given you.

Keep letting us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Great to hear from you and to see that you are doing great, pain wise so early out.

I'm glad that your post op problems with your fever,tachycardia and low blood levels are behind you now. Now on to the road to recovery.

Please remember restrictions regarding no BLT, get lots of rest, walk walk walk when able.If you start to have pain, ease up, stay on top of pain with meds if needed.

Wishing you all the best,great recovery and solid fusion.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Great news on your surgery and recovery. I also had a 360 fusion of L4/L5, about the same length of time in surgery too. It was very successful and I was in the hospital 5 days. I was in good shape before and it made the recovery easier. I walked a lot and also swam once the incision had healed. I have had 2 fusions since and they have both been successful. Good luck with your recovery.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.