Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

forminal stenosis

clsmeekscclsmeeks Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anybody ever had surgery due to forminal stenosis I have severe forminal stenosis on the left side c6 c7 any info would be helpfull thanks in advance

• Hi cls;

Yes, I've had two surgeries to correct foraminal stenosis (one on each side of my neck), called an anterior cervical foraminotomy. It's less invasive than a fusion, and quicker recovery. They will remove the blockage, any bone spurs you might have, herniations, protrusions and a bit of the vertebrae if necessary. You can be back to work in 4-6 weeks. No collar is necessary. Both of my surgeries were successful in that the nerve roots were released and the symptoms caused by the stenosis disappeared. With the 1st surgery, the post-op pain was pretty bad, but with this 2nd one, I had very little post-op pain. I've attached a link to a video that shows the posterior approach for cervical foraminotomy that you might want to watch. You can also get links to other threads that were posted about the surgery if you type foraminotomy in the search field at the top of the page. Good luck!

APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I had a herniated disc which caused left forminal stenosis. I had Anterior Cervical Disectomy and fusion
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Saw Nuero surg on monday he said he want to try stereiod injection first but if i does not help he said it would be a acdf c6 c7 but in the next senetence he said having on up high and one low will cause the other disc to need the same thing and some point anybody have any storys for me let me know thanks in advance clsmeeks
  • Its important post it should provide proper information which is helpful for us.
  • HI CLS,

I am also pre surgery still and still looking for answers and other consults. I have been diagnosed with a left C6 and C7 radiculopathy due to spondylosis and foraminal stenosis at both levels. We have been trying to maximize my other options before having surgery. I am told that if these additional interventions fail I am a candidate for an ACD with fusion. I had 4 epidural injections but they provided little relief. I also had traction but this time around didn't help. They may help you along with other non operative treatment. Only you and your doctor can decide on this. I have heard that having this type of surgery can place stress on additional levels. It all depends on your circumstance. Good luck to you.

• Im scheduled for acdf on 10/26/11 for c6 c7 so injections did not help I have severe ddd in that disc the disc is almost gone and bone rubbing together so doc opted for sugery ill give all and update next week when I get home from hospital and thanks for you reply
  • Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz