Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need advice

marybeth0820mmarybeth0820 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK...First, I will tell you I am a healthy, active 28 year old with no medical problems in my history except migraines. Back in March, 2011, I had my sister step on my lower back to crack it. She had done this hundreds of times before. Shortly after that I had pain that slowly became more severe. A week later I went to the local ER where they ran Xrays and concluded nothing was wrong. A week later, I called my PCP and made an appointment. I met with him and he said nothing was wrong and just put me on anti-inflammatory. Two weeks later, the pain was so severe I could barely walk so I returned once again to my PCP. He finally ordered an MRI which showed I had 2 herniated discs that were pressing on the sciatic nerve. I was referred to an Ortho surgeon (not neuro) by my PCP. By this time, it was early May and he referred me to a pain clinic to start injection shots. The doctor said these may or may not work. I would receive one shot every 2 weeks for 3 sessions (total 6 weeks). If that didnt work then we would talk about surgery. Well I talked this over with many people and decided since I was getting married early September (2011) I wanted to chose a procedure that was the 'sure thing.' So i opted for the surgery and bypassed the injections. I had my surgery July 14th. The pains before surgery that I was experiencing were shooting pains through my left buttocks and through my left leg, to the knee. It was hard to sit, bend, and I obviously couldnt lift. My doctor informed me that I would have IMMEDIATE relief from the shooting pains in my legs but that, obviously, my back would be sore for 3-5 weeks. Other than that, he made the surgery seem like a breeze.
Well, all went well with the surgery..or so I thought. FOr the first 10 days everything was going as planned. Sore back but the worse pain in the legs had vanished. However, a little less than 2 weeks after the surgery (about 12 days from today) I started having severe shooting pains through the left leg. This time, it went from my hip flexor into the bottom of my left foot. These were shooting pains, all of the time. A few days after this I started becoming very very sore in my left side and left buttocks. It was more painful and harder to function than it was BEFORE the surgery. At my follow up appt I explained this all to my doctor and he put me on a 5 day cycle of steroids and said to continue to take the pain medicine. That was Wednesday. Since then, the pain has almost doubled. Now, not only am I having the shooting pains through my buttocks and entire left leg, my left foot now gets numb when I sit down and I have the pins and needle feeling through my left thigh. Just last night (this is what really scared me) I started having uncontrollable twitches in my upper body. I am going to call him first thing Monday morning because I know that something is not right. I am now 4 weeks away from my wedding and can barely walk for 5 minutes at a time.
My question is this: What could possibly going on? Could this be a nerve? nerve damage? Did I wait to long to have the surgery? (injured in March, surgery July)....What can be done to help?
My pain medicine is really starting not to work (I am on Norco, 10/325) but if I dont take it I literally cant move off the couch. I wanted to ask him to switch me to some pain medicine without acetaminophen but I dont want him to think I just want medicine. That is not the case at all. I just have been on medicine with that ingredient for 4 months and I am worried about my liver. What else could he put me on without acetaminophen but helps like Norco?

But that isnt my main issue. I really need some insight as to what could be going on? I am really scared about not only my well being but how I am going to be able to function at the wedding. Should I ask for another MRI?
Please help...

• So sorry to hear about your condition. Honestly, if it were me, I would definitely ask to be squeezed in for an emergency appt and would ask for an MRI. Alot of people who have fusions will often blow out the disc above the fusion, but it doesn't usually happen that quickly. that's not to say it can't, however.

But, yeah, hon. I would want an appt, an mri...see what you can see. If your doc isn't being cooperative or supportive, you can always get a second opinion.

Try to just take it very easy. Fusion surgeries are a big deal and with planning a wedding at the same time - you have to be really careful not to overdo things and follow the post-op instructions to the letter.

Hang in there - and please let us know your progress, kay?
  • I have been trying to take it easy and honestly havent done much since the surgery. That is why I am shocked and worried I am having this much trouble. My doctor didnt seem too concerned however, I have had more problems arise since Wednesday at my last appointment.So is there any clue as to what could be going on? What would cause not only more pain but more intense pain than pre-surgery? I am just very worried that I am going to be in this type of pain forever!!! ugh
  • You're so early in your recovery if you had it in July. I would tell the Surgeon you're having too much pain you can't even walk which you should be doing daily for a few minutes several times a day. See what he says and he may order more pain meds or muscle relaxant.

Best wishes for your recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hey mary hate hear you going through this.i had alif l5-l6 got a extra ,after mine they told me where my nerves was pinched it takes time ti heal because after my surgery i was still hurting well i had mine jan4 2011 ,so they told me let;s give it time to fuse and see where i was at 6 to 7 months postop,so i did so last month i had a milgram and last thursday the 4 agst .i go in and where he fused l5 and l6 they was still bone spurs that he coudlnt get from the front,the screw broke a bone spur and it flipped into my nerve canal and it is cause all this pain still.so im waiting for the call for surgery date,hes doing deconpression with rods .what i was told thursday agst 4.so a milagram with contrast might be your best bet.and ide think your doc would know that be good step to see what's going on..gl alif l5-l6 jan 4 2011
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

You're really very early in your recovery from major spine surgery. After my 1-lvl TLIF (L4/5), I felt ok for about a week or so and then started having significant nerve pain shooting down both of my legs to the point that I had to use a walker. I hadn't had that pain before surgery, but waited it out as the surgeon said that the nerves can get very angry after such an aggressive intrusion.

Of course, talk to your surgeon and let him know what's happening, but it's not uncommon for things to get worse before they get better. If your doc says not to worry, then hang in there an measure your recovery in weeks, not days. Recovery after lumbar surgery is very, very difficult and long. It'll take a while before you feel better.

Hang in there and take care. Be sure to keep us posted, too.
  • I appreciate everyones advice but I dont think that anyone is understanding. My doctor told me that i should not be having any of the pain that i am having. That is what is scaring me. The pain in my legs should have been gone the day of the surgery. Furthermore, I should not be developing NEW pain after the surgery that I never had pre-op. My doctor told me that he does see this sometimes but it is very rare...and for him to say that to me is very scary. I know that it takes time to recover from surgery. However, I have 3 new types of pain in different areas, along with the pain being much more intense.
    If a doctor tells you that you should not be having any pain in your legs after surgery and now you are having triple the amount of pain, I dont see how that is from the surgery. That is what I am saying. I am also asking what might be wrong with me. I guess no one on here knows either. Well if no one knows, then how am I supposed to get better???
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    Recovering from surgery takes a long time. During this period, you will experience pain in various areas, some like pre surgical pain, some new pain, and it might be in different areas. As time goes on, this type of pain should start to subside.

There are so many variables that it is impossible to identify what different pain you may be feeling and when that should go away.

I know that people here do understand what you are saying. In many regards you are no different than so many others that go through the same period.

And yes, they can hear the same thing from their doctors. Shouldnt have the pain, that can come from the surgeon who performed the operation. He/She knows that they were successful, therefore, you shouldnt be having any pain.

It doesnt always work that way. You need to give it time and have patience. The more you work yourself up about this, the chances of more discomfort will increase.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am not worked up. I am concerned. For many factors but the main one being that I have a wedding in one month that I must be able to walk down the aisle. Secondly, I am concerned because I know how I am feeling. I know what the doctor said in regards to how I SHOULD be feeling and they are not close to being accurate. I was looking on here to see if anyone was experiencing a huge increase in pain, along with twitches, pain where it wasnt before, etc and ended up having some type of nerve problem. I am just trying to make sure that what I am feeling will not be permanent.
    Everyone on here is being kind and I do appreciate that, but Im not getting the answers that I am searching for when I posted on here.
    I understand that surgery takes time to recover from; I am a highly educated individual working on my Ph.D. However, I also know that I am very frightened right now because I barely can even walk to the bathroom. At least before the surgery I was still able to function as a semi-normal human being. Now, all I feel like is a vegetable and it is depressing.
    Also, I have been on pain meds with acetaminophen for 3 months. I am getting a little worried that I should ask to switch to something like the Norco 10/325 that I am on but without all that acetaminophen. Any suggestions on whether or not I should do that? I dont want my doctor to think I just want more pills because that certainly is the case and I dont want to raise flags; there is nothing to be alarmed about. I take my medicine exactly as prescribed and sometimes better than it is prescribed. I just know it is toxic to your liver if taken for a long time. So, does anyone know if there is anything out there pain med wise that would be equal (or close to it) to Norco 10/325?
    Anyhow, thank you everyone for your help. I guess I was just hoping for a little more concrete answers before calling my doctor tomorrow morning. :)
  • But I would let him know that you can barely walk to the washroom as that's pretty significant and that you have too much pain. Let your Dr. know you're concerned about the tylenol in your meds however if your liver function tests are normal about 4000mg or 4 grams a day should be the maximum amount to take daily but not for a long time say a few years. However a few months shouldn't affect you taking that amount of tylenol but usually your Dr. would monitor your liver functions level in your blood tests for us who take significant amount of pain medications daily get checked every 3-6 months.

One person on here had to take Morphine slow release after her surgery so it's not abnormal that you may need something stronger but do let your Surgeon know about walking to the washroom being an effort. Keep us posted what your Surgeon says. Char
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I appreciate it. I will for sure keep you posted on what he says tomorrow.
    I would rather get on some type of medicine that doesnt have acetaminophen in it to avoid having to go for blood work and all that. I am sure that I am fine but if I can avoid blood work (I am going through enough) then that is what I am going to try and do.
    I will let you know as soon as I get any information!
  • recently decreased the daily limit of acetaminophen from 4000mg to 3000mg per day. If you are taking 9 tablets or under, you are considered in the safe limit. I took pain meds with acetaminophen for almost one year, but had the same concerns as you, and now I take them without APAP.

Also, you can google "dermatome map" and determine if your symptoms coorelate with the level where you had your surgery. This will help you when discussing your symptoms with your surgeon.

Hope this helps,

• It's such a shame you're having the same (and new) pain so near to your wedding - I do feel for you.

The surgery you had was invasive and there will be considerable pain being generated from the muscles and nerves during the TLIF surgery itself - it takes months (even years) for it all to settle down.

I'm now a year after PLIF surgery and I still take morphine patches & liquid when it's necessary, so don't give up. If you need to have strong medication, just to get you through your wedding, then it might be an idea to discuss this with your surgeon.

When you said "but Im not getting the answers that I am searching for when I posted on here" - I believe the ONLY person who can give you definitive answers is your surgeon! Please discuss all your concerns with him tomorrow when you see him and will you let us all know how your appointment goes?

You can certainly ask for more immediate investigations to take place to ascertain where your pain is coming from and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an MRI asap, considering your wedding will take place in the near future.

Good luck - I really hope you can reduce the level of pain you're currently experiencing so you can thorough enjoy your special day.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hi Marybeth.
    Sorry that you are in a bunch of pain.

You didn't mention what kind of surgery you had. Can you tell us if it was a fusion or a microdiscectomy or a laminectomy or combination of any of those?

This makes a huge difference when people respond to your inquiries as each procedure presents different outcomes.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • You went with the surgery that would be a sure thing? First of all there is no such thing. Dr,s know the risk of surgery outcome is always there. I am suprised they would not talk you out of any surgery and do the injection just so you can have the wedding before taking the risk of not being able to walk at all if surgery fails.

And as paul mentioned you never stated what kind of surgery you had. If you had fusion which is a big deal then for sure i would of waited with such surgery untill after the wedding. Many of us after surgery never recovered and ended up with multiple issues we never had before. So trust me some of us know the complications that can arise from such surgery. And most of the time even the drs dont have an answer for it.

So if we were to give an answer of what could be wrong after you had surgery would be just guessing but hopefully you find some releif soon so wedding will go down without any complications. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am sorry I forgot to mention that I had microdiscectomy surgery. You are right, there is never a sure thing. Just the way that the doctor explained it made me feel very comfortable with the decision that I was making.
    Well, I talked with the doctor today and he really didnt make me feel better. I was put on bed rest until Friday and he changed my medicine from Norco to Oxycodone. I am not familiar with the new medicine (Oxycodone). Does anyone know how it compares when helping with pain to the Norco 10/325? I believe that he gave me a script for 5mg of Oxycodone. Will this help more with the pain? Like I said, I am not very familiar with it so any information would be helpful. I also have to go pick it up at the doctors office which was weird to me. Why cant he call it in over the phone? Anyhow, he said if I am not better after resting for the next few days (which is what I have been doing anyhow) to call him on Friday and he will schedule another MRI for me. I explained over and over again that the pain is worse. Also, I am not sure if I mentioned this in my previous post, but on Saturday night after my fiance rubbed my legs and left buttocks (where the pain seemed to be originating from) I had twitches in my upper body on and off for 20 minutes. After that they subsided and I havent had them since. I am not sure what that was from. I explained the increase in pain shooting from my left buttocks through the bottom of my left foot, the burning and tingling sensations in my left thigh and now I have pain in my lower lumbar on both my right and left sides. He also mentioned if I wasnt better to refer me to a Pain Management Clinic. Another thing that I am not familiar with. What are those clinics for and how would they help me? I am truly trying to wait this out and hoping that things are better. I cant imagine dealing with this for a long period of time. Also, I am a Special Education teacher currently in school completing my Master degree. I am so scared that they will never find the source of the pain and fix it. If they dont, how am I supposed to work?
    Anyhow, any information on the new medication he prescribed and the Pain Management clinic would be helpful. I will keep everyone updated.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    that there is no one on this site that can provide you with medical advice. Information you get here (Forum side) is based on individual member's opinions and personal experiences.

We stress that new members should not be looking for medical advice from the member community.

The main side of Spine-Health does provide formal medical information the majority of Spinal conditions, treatments, and much more.

You can also get information regarding the various types of surgeries as well as prescription medications.

In many states , it is not legal to send in electronic or phone prescriptions for narcotics. They must be done with hardcopy scripts that are properly watermarked protected. I have heard of a few states that it is legal to wire these types of scripts.

A Pain Management clinic (Pain Doctor or Psychiatrist) is for people that need non-surgical procedures (ie Spinal Injections, EMG's, etc) and for the doctor's their to continue to diagnose medical situation and manage your medications.

Besides looking at the Spine-Health main menu, I would suggest going through the FAQ for the forums, you will find a lot of information there.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ummm i know that I cannot seek medical advice on here nor am I. I am seeking ADVICE...there is a big difference I have looked under the FAQs information on here but I decided to post instead. I am not on here for a lecture, as it seems that is what you are trying to give to me. I am a highly educated individual therefore bold print is not needed or necessary. I am simply wondering if there were other people in my type of situation and could guide me on where to go from here.
    I truly feel as though something went wrong with my surgery. Symptoms are worse then before surgery as well as new symptoms that I never had before. I am very worried that I will never be the same again that is why I decided to post on here.
    It seems that the medical professionals are not seeking to find the problem as to what is causing the pain rather wanting to give me medication to have somewhat of the life I had before. However, that is not what I want. I want answers. I want results without medication.
    I am a highly acclaimed special education in my area and with the degree of pain that I am feeling now, not to mention the medication I am on, I am unable to return to my job in the Fall. This scares me because I love my job and have paid nearly 30,000 for my Master degree, which is almost completed.
    I am on bed rest right now until Friday and if I am not better they will order more test and send me to a pain management center. I just dont want to have to take pain medication in order to function nor is it fair to ask me to do so. If something went wrong during surgery I have the right to know but I feel like I will never get those answers.
    For those of you who had the same type of surgery I did, how long was the recovery? I am entering my 5th week of recovery at this point. The doctor says to keep resting and allow the nerve to heal but I have been resting since the surgery and it seems that things only get worse.
    Thank you for your time
  • Spinal surgery is unlike any other. It is not like having your gallbladder removed and in 2 weeks going back to your perfectly normal life. There are so many unknowns afterward. It takes much time to know the true outcome.

The oxycodone is more potent, so hopefully you will get better relief from the pain. It may take months before you know the true outcome from this surgery, and you may always have a certain amount of pain. Know your limitations, and use therapies that help moderate your pain. I like ice and my tens unit.

Did you google the dermatome map? Do take this recovery time to educate yourself. It is vital to your future. Generally speaking, spinal issues become a lifelong issue, and you must advocate for yourself. You are making decisions that will effect the rest of your life, so make them well.

There are so many people on this forum with stories much like yourself. Smart, well educated, hard-working, self-motivated. Then the spine disease takes over their lives. There are no guarantees here; just best guess. You could see 3 different doctors, and receive 3 different opinions...what do you do then....you must decide what is best for you. All the degrees in the world will not help you unless you understand what is going on with your spine.

Advice...keep a good working relationship with your doctor. Do your research, and when you finish...do more research. Make sure that you are taking excellent care of yourself. Be compliant in doing what your surgeon requests as far as exercise. Eat super nutritiously. Accept the kindness of the people on this forum. They know what you are going through, unlike anyone else in your life.

Good luck!

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    My best advice to you at this moment is to please be kind to our Sr. Moderator. He works long and hard to assist multitudes of people with spine related problems.

He was not lecturing you (I know because I have been lectured by him before and it was nothing like his post to you).

I have many items of additional advice for you but at this point I'll just leave it at that - as I believe in the rule of first of all do no harm.

If you want to, or feel the need to, condemn, criticize, or complain, feel free to P.M. me and I will share many other potential items of advice.

I hope you begin to heal in many ways,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Welcome to spine health. I can understand your pain and frustration. I too am 5 weeks out from a two level discectomy. Recovery definately has its ups and downs.
    I too am really struggling with my recovery, and was feeling very discouraged about it. I am trying now to give it more time, try to do what I can to help my recovery and also not do anything that could hinder it. I am still on all plus more of my pre surgery meds, am in just as much if not more pain.

My surgeon has told me that it takes a good 8-12 weeks to know whether the surgery will be a success or not. I will then have another MRI and go from there.

Please don't give up, everyone does heal at different rates, and no surgery is guaranteed to be successful, although of course we all hope that it will. Hopefully you will get your MRI to see if there are any other issues going on.

Wishing you well, and please keep us updated on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • to share with you my story to let you know that you are not alone. I too agree with what Dave(Metalneck) has said in his post regarding Poppa Ron. His post was very helpful and answered your questions as he always works hard on here everyday to help people with questions.

Everyone on spine health has been so helpful to me, and it is great to talk with others who get our pain.

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I wish I had advice to offer you, but unfortunately I don't, because I am in nearly the exact situation as you are, except my problems are in my t-spine. My pain prior to my surgery was on the right side, and now it's on the left and is worse than the other pain was. I find myself almost regretting having had the surgery. Prior to the surgery I'd pop a Motrin 600 here and there and sometimes take a percocet if the pain got too bad. But I could still get up and move around and be somewhat functional. Now I can't stand/walk for more than 5 to 10 minutes before the pain starts, and it gets to be absolutely excrutiating. I have to grin and bare it all day until my husband gets home from work, since I have three children. Typically by then the pain is through the roof, so I end up taking my meds.

I also went through a round of steroids, which did nothing. They put me on 800 mg of Ibuprofen/Motrin three times a day...again, it does nothing. In order to get even just a little pain relief, I have to take an oxy ir and muscle relaxant together. I've remained in constant contact with my doc, and on Friday they decided it was time to order a repeat MRI and CT scan. I went for the MRI saturday morning and the CT scan yesterday evening, so I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor's office with those results.

My best advice for you is to keep on your doctor about this. Explain your concerns about the medication, and continue to call them when you are concerned about your symptoms. I had my surgery 7/6, and my doctor was reluctant to order a repeat MRI initially because he thought it would only pick up the inflammation. So he ordered the MRI, but he also ordered a CT scan to check the surgical site.

I'm sorry you are going through almost the same hell as I am. I'm young as well, only 29 years old, but I feel more like I am 80. I also have a slew of other health problems. I think my 99-year old grandfather is in better shape than I am.
  • Whoever took my post as being unkind then I am sorry. I would never be rude to anyone especially when they are trying to help. Maybe you took it the wrong way. And thanks for the offer of advice, Ill let you know if I find it necessary to seek any from you.

• I appreciate everyone on here. I am sorry I am very frustrated at this point. I know that I need to give it some more time but I am freaking out because of my wedding. The pain medication that they put me on has dulled the pain however, I am not looking for pain medication to take care of it. I want them to figure out what is wrong. I think that I am going to ask for another MRI from my doctor. I just really am regretting the surgery.
    SHould I ask for another MRI or just continue taking the medication and see what happens? They want to send me to a pain management clinic but I have never been to one therefore have no idea what to expect and frankly, have heard that those doctors are not very friendly. I love my ortho doctor and he is very understanding and helpful. I dont want to go to another doctor who isnt as kind but I need to think of what is best for me.
    Any advice?
  • Thank you Metalneck for that insight. I may have to ask for a full operation report.

It was also brought to my attention that I dont have the right 'etiquette' sometimes when writing in the forum. As stated before, this is my first time ever posting in here, or anywhere else for that matter, so I apologize if I have come across as anxious, etc. I believe that any woman in my situation (4 weeks away from walking down the aisle) would be a tad bit panicky.

I do read every post and take it in. I am not by any means knowledgeable in the medical field. I guess I was hoping for too much when concerning my recovery.

I am currently on bed rest until Friday (from my doctor) so hopefully these nerves will calm down. I am still having a high amount of pain but I guess anything is tolerable.

Again, I appreciate everyone on here helping me get through this hard time.
  • Hi Marybeth,

Reading this thread, I can tell you, that you have received so much information. I can only add a few things. One if the pain is so intolerable go to the ER. But I notice you said the new med is taking the edge off the pain?

I have to tell you I can relate to wondering what went wrong, and so on. Although I am past that point now, as i have learned the hard way, there is no perfect science to finding out what is happening with spinal issues. From my stand point went into a surgery with a perfect text book case and 6 surgeries latter, I live on meds, and barely function. Lost that perfect job, savings accounts you name it. My situation is not that unique, on these forums. My point in telling you this, is that you need to take it easy, and do exactly what your being asked. Friday morning, if your not better, call the surgeon and hold him to his words, ordering a new MRI. Also sending you to pain management may not be a bad thing. First another doctor will be looking at your situation, with a new set of eyes. Second it could be some inflammation, and as I have seen many times here, a injection gets members headed down the right path. The other question are you taking any muscle relaxers? If not, might be something that would help you out. Sometimes to get someone going it is a combination of a few meds to help.

I certainly can understand your frustrations worrying about walking down the aisle for your wedding, so I would do anything and everything they asked me to do. The meds wouldn't be the last of my worries at this point and time. It sounds as though they are trying to get the pain down to get you up and moving. Sometimes after these surgeries laying down to much, can also be a problem. With that said now you have to stay on the bed rest, so you don't have much choice and hopefully with the oxy you can begin to move about. If that dose doesn't help they can higher the dose. In the grand scheme of things it is not that high of a dose. So first, I would worry about getting the pain under control, so you can be functional for your wedding. Once the pain is under control hopefully you will have more success.
  • Thank you very much for your help. You are right; getting the pain under control is the number one priority right now. I am def going to get another MRI and hopefully we will get some answers. I have a 3 year old who has been at my parents in order for me to get well. That is something else that I cant stand; I cant stand being away from her but I know that I need to do what I need to do.
    Again, thank you for your time.
  • I agree with what everyone has said here. It's still very early, you need to listen to your doctors, and take it easy. As tamtam said, I would also make your doctor hold his words and order another MRI, or possibly an EMG or other test to find out if you have any nerve damage.

The tricky thing about surgeries is that the trauma of it to your spine and nerves can cause more inflammation to nerves that weren't affecting you prior. I just had my 2nd cervical foraminotomy in June, and woke up with paralysis in my left arm, which has happened to quite a few people as I've found out since. The paralysis stems from a nerve below the level that he worked on. So the same thing could have happened to you, other nerves are inflamed causing the new pain, and not have anything to do with what the surgeon did during surgery. Be happy that your leg wasn't paralyzed! But I do understand the anxiety you're having, going through this before your wedding. We dream about that day from the time we're little girls, and want everything to be perfect.

As for the meds and acetaminophen, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. You haven't been on them for very long at all. I've been taking oxycodone with acetaminophen for 3 years now. There are many others here who have been on them for a lot longer than me. As long as you stay under the daily max dose, you should be fine. The tests are usually only done once, maybe twice a year, and you're not at the point now where you'd need one, unless you have other issues going on that affect your liver.

Nobody, not even medical professionals, can tell you how long this is going to last, as everyone is different. Nobody recovers, heals, or even hurts the same way (pain is relative). Sometimes there simply is no answer, we just have to wait it out. Going to see a pm doc is a very good thing, they can open other doors, like order new testing, prescribe different meds, administer injections, refer you to physio, a physiatrist (if they aren't one themselves), pain psychologist or even an osteopath. They are better equipped and knowledgeable to manage your pain. Be open to all avenues of treatment that the doctors might offer. You just never know what the right one is for you, as everyone reacts differently to the different treatments, so they have to cover everything.

I wish you luck, and send best wishes for your big day, congrats!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • thank you for your advice. Yes, I am def going to make sure my doctor orders other tests for me. I will keep everyone updated on my progress/prognosis.

Although I dont want to be on long term pain management, I will do whatever the doctors think is best and follow their orders. They are, after all, the professionals in this case
  • I have been in both kinds of situations.

For my L4-L5 microdiscectomy, I felt like something was wrong afterwards yet for the longest time, everyone was telling me "No, it's normal, you're fine" and "It's just in your head". I demanded a new MRI and I was right.
    It was a big herniation at L5-S1.

For my L5-S1 microdiscectomy a year later, I was positive I had reherniated because I was in massive pain for 4 weeks post-op. Worse than before the surgery. Stuck in bed, unable to move very much, stand, walk, or lead any kind of life.
    Again, I demanded a new MRI, but this time I was wrong.

As it turned out, it was only swelling, edema and inflammation. They gave me an ESI into the surgery site. No immediate relief was felt, but on the 3rd say, the pain started going away. By the 7th day, I was pain-free.

I was icing, but I failed to go to the prescribed post-op aquatic physical therapy.

Anyways, the point of the story is that after I allowed some time to pass, I became aggressive in pursuing a solution to the problem. (sometimes I am not a patient person)
    No one else was feeling my pain. I took matters into my own hands and made things happen.

I encountered some resistance from people that are supposed to help, but I worked around those impedances. Otherwise, I would have lost who knows how much time waiting for things to get better.
    I was sick of being in pain and missing out on life.

Surgery, body chemistry, and meds definitely alter a person's thoughts, feelings, and emotions.

I hope you get some answers one way or another and that you can have a beautiful wedding and finish your studies.

I am in school too! at 39, I am back in school going after a degree. I hope to get married one day also.

Hang in there Marybeth!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008