Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this hip bursitis? Help!

catccat Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I walked religiously 2 times a day for a mile starting week 2 after ACDF surgery. I now have developed what I think is hip bursitis from what I read about pain and it's location. I walked alot before surgery so exercise was not new to me. However I'm thinking my stride probably changed after neck surgery and with posture guarding the walking irritated my hip. I'm hoping its not a lumbar disc problem...I have no radiating pain in legs at all ...just on side of hip and back of buttocks...has anyone developed this after ACDF? I'm 11 weeks post op. I really don't want to ask for lumbar mri at this point as it makes sense it's bursitis irritation...trying ice and stretches but i know bursitis can last a while....any feedback or thoughts if it makes sense its irritation from walking??? Thank you.

• I would make an appointment right away. I had burning in my lower back around the 3 month mark and I just waited for it to resolve by itself. It would get better and then worse and then finally it was spreading into my hips. Now it is worse than before and I waited over a month to see my OS. :< The MRI confirmed that I have 2 herniated discs in the lumbar. The PT has been helping, but I wish I caught it earlier and resolved it immediately instead of waiting for it to get worse. Better to take care of this with conservative treatment now than to wait until surgery is the only option!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I hear you....however i don't have burning in lower back...it's more over the hip...especially if I press on outside of hip...is your hip painful over the hip bone? Thanks for your help. Glad you are getting help.
  • What you described really sounds like bursitis. I had a follow-up with my surgeon last week and he was nice enough to give me a shot in both hips. If you push along the side of your hip is there one area that hurts more than other areas? That's where they'd do the injection. I have had bouts with bursitis in my hips and elbows on and off. You could call your doctor's office and explain what you're feeling and see if someone in the practice could see you and maybe do injection(s) - cortisone, I think. If they get it in the right spot it can provide almost instant relief. Of course, nothing is 100%.

Good luck.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Your hip may be hurting based on how long you are laying on a particular side while in bed. After my ALIF, I favored my left side while laying in bed. I got a pretty nasty case of bursitis.

Same thing happened on my right side when I was deployed to the desert and slept on a cot for six months. That time it took quite a while and a bunch of cortizone shots to heal.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thanks for your comments...I think I started walking too fast after surgery also as well as sleeping on a sagging couch ....may I especially say Thank you for your service.
  • Something else I forgot about, if it is bursitis see if they will approve a few PT visits. My PT location had medicated pads they used in conjunction with electrical therapy. It seemed to help out as well.

Hope you feel better soon!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2