Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

zigazziga Posts: 143
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions

I have cervical fusion c5-c6
I am currently taking klonopin.5mg
Diagnostic tests- uffff well, from myelopathy to spinal cord injury, to edema, no ones clear.
No upcoming surgery - pleaseeeeee
My current medical problem has to do more with how I am
adapting to the surgery with depression and so many changes
in my life.

I am battling in my head that many of us end with unnecessary surgeries for misinformation or for fear.
Before my surgery I had pain in my arms but not in my neck. My arms where not numb. I felt changes in temperature, and tinglings everywhere. My neurosurgeon was honest and told me that my pain could be different things. He also said that he won't cure the condition but stop it from progressing. So I went to another ortho surgeon who said lets deal with your neck first and then see what pain remains, he said he thought I'll recover from 80 to 90%. When I felt better I cancel surgery but then I freak out when I started feeling ataxia, so I thought condition was progressing. Then I talk to two doctors that told me that the ataxia was maybe coming from different medicines.

So I think that when one decides to do surgery one have to look for at least three opinions. Win off medicines, to be sure symptoms don't come from here. Some medicines like antidepressants can cause hyperflexia and clonus. So it is very delicate the moment you choose your surgery. From what I have read here I see that you are very responsible in how to choose, and you orient yourself. I just want to say that from my point of view, what I have learned, don't let pain and fear trouble or confuse your decision, don't let anxiety rule you at the moment of your decision. Anxiety can cause muscle tension, lead to medication, medication can alter reflexes different. Also pain killers deplete endorphins and sometimes lead to depression causing the vicious cycle we all know. I read about the importance of exercise to release endorphines and to fill the discs with nutrients. My My neurologist told me that there are so many structures in the neck that could be causing pain. Don't get me wrong I know herniated discs hurt, but I also know that many time they take time to heal. I understand clearly that if you are loosing movement, or muscle is really needed. I think that sometimes we get so anxious with our diagnostic that it creates a nocebo effect, fear which gets us anxious producing muscle spasms, getting us nervous, feeling not able to accomplish, then the pain meds start and depression... so I think that the best for pain is believe you will heal, and exercise will help, also I read that hidden anger wakes up when we hit ourselves and we somatized. I have L3-L-4-L5 herniated and L5-S1, I had back pain for years and paresthesias and some pain in my leg but they faded away!

I wish I had that patience with my cervicals.

I have read some inspirational stories in Christopher Reeves page, I recommend.

Well Hi this is my story after my story, a reflection of what I am living.

My disc was reabsorbing, because they do reabsorbe with time. I know so many stories of people that have their pain resolve in some years. Sorry I am obssesed with this, Iknow I need to look forward and stop hurting myself for the surgery.

Dilauro I tried to follow the rules srry for this post being to long.

My present situation, I still have pain after surgery, thought should not have it, I feel like I can not organize myself after what happened, I feel like another person and confused. Missing to much what I used to be and not able to believe that everything change. But reading ispirational stories help.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I don't think it's unusual or uncommon for those of us dealing with chronic situations and pain..like our spine stuff.. to feel confused and overwhelmed sometimes.
    Everyone is so different with how their body responds to the "defects" going on with the spine.. I don't have the right word...and each so different with how we respond to meds and/or treatments.
    So, we make the best decisions for ourselves that we can with the info we have and the way our body reacts.

I'm not sure how long ago you had your surgery..but some of us can take a longer time to heal than others.

I have not had surgery on my spine...but with my spine and chronic stuff...I wake up everyday to a new me....the different pain, cognitive issues, memory..or lack thereof... :) So, I continue to practice accepting myself and whatever situation and take care of myself best I can.

This site is great for allowing me to read and see others who live in it, also, and it allows me to feel more normal in my confusion.. if that makes any sense! :)
    Take care, Ziga! and keep in touch!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! i am sorry to read your surgery was not a success.. i can tell this has left you very upset and out of sorts. that is understandable, and a big reason we are here!! perhaps being around others in pain as you are, will make you feel a bit better... stop by the forum anytime, there is always a spiney around! good luck with your pain issues.. Jenny :)