Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long were you on Cymbalta?

LambsydoatsLLambsydoats Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Fibromyalgia

I am wondering whether Cymbalta is meant to be taken for the rest of one's life after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia (and osteoarthritis), or if it works to reduce the CAUSE of the pain and can be eliminated after a period of time. I am actually withdrawing from Cymbalta (was only on 30 mg/day, and it took away my pain), and I'll see if the pain comes back. But I'd love to hear what other experiences people with fibro have had with taking Cymbalta.

I'm aware of the possible side-effects withdrawal can bring about; I'm more interested in whether you have been able to control the pain without remaining on Cymbalta forever. :-)

• Lambsy I don't think cymbalta will cure anything. It just works to change the way your nerves perceive the pain. So unless something else has happened in your body to change the source of your pain it will probably be the same.

I was only on cymbalta for a few weeks because I had a reaction to it. When I came off of it I didn;t have any withdrawal but I was only on a low dose. Hope you don't experience anything.
  • I was only on 20mg for about 5 days. I know your always supposed to give new medicine time to adjust but I could not stand the side effects it was giving me so I stopped. Also was worried about the dependency as I have heard the withdraw is the worst and I didnt want to be on it forever.

Still not sure if it worked, as I was on other meds as well.
  • I was on Cymbalta for about a year, i took 2 60 mg once a day. I got vrey little relief. I took for Fibro and for an antidepressant. I first took it as an anti depressant which was adjusted to a high dose of 120mg a day due to my fibro. I didnt have any side effects when i came off the medicine. I quit taking it cause because I really didnt feel the benefit of it. It did help with my depression but not my pain associated with my fibro. I have heard that it tend to help some people with fibro and so does lyrica but had no success with either one of them. I was actually but on cymabalta but I didnt want to be but on something so addictive as some other meds. This one i was told to have minimal addiction. But evcery body's body function differently to medicines.

Good Luck
  • Norco, I think, has less acetaminophen. I take the Norco 10/325. I have seen Lortab 10/500, and Lorcet 10/650. I think this has been answered/debated quite a few times actually. The difference is in the apap. IS vicodin, Lortab and have more than Norco apap. Norco, Lortab, Vicodin hydrocodone have all. Oxycodone, as I'm sure you already know, is a completely different medicine. We must only prevent side effects because NOWhere.com suggests that they may be hazardous to health. Also, Cymbalta is an anti-depressant that can be used off label for certain types of pain. BTW, did your injections help at all? I have had quite a few in the Lumbar and Sac joints, Facet Injections, and a nerve block. The nerve block provided relief for a short period of time, 3-4 weeks. It did not make it go away, but it did lessen the pain. With pain meds, the pain is around 2-3, without around 5-6, based on my pain clinic's scale. The injections helped to keep it around to 4-5 without pain meds, and a 1-2 with. Just an opinion, love it when an old post blows in from the past.
  • I have been on it for a few years, and it seems to help.

But again,everyone has a different reaction. I buy it in Canada, by the way, and it is much cheaper there.

My insurance does not cover it and it is pricey. I get hot flashes with it, but can live with that.

Wendy S
  • I have been on Cymbalta for several years. I am taking 60mg once a day. It has helped my fibro tremendously. Cymbalta was just approved by the FDA for the treatment of fibromyalgia. I will continue taking it until if and when the doc takes me off. I tried Lyrica for a short time and found it to be less effective than Cymbalta. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Make sure your dr knows what you are doing with your meds.
  • I am currently taking Cymbalta as an antidepression med. I take 120mg a day. The Dr. prescribed it due to my depression but also said that it's been known to help with Fibro and osteoarthritis.

Truth be told, I have noticed no difference since adding Cymbalta to my daily medication. I currently take Lyrica 150mg twice a day for the Fibro and it's a Godsend for me!

My PCP told me that meditation and yoga help tremedously with Fibro, so I have been doing that as much as possible and I have noticed a slight difference.

I wish you luck on your journey. You have to find the right treatment for YOU, but like others have said, you MUST let your Dr. know what you are doing/trying (herbal supplements, OTC meds) so that they can help you.

• I only endured the side effects for a few weeks, have me MEGA syncope and I was falling down (not helpful with fibro, and spinal issues, lol) and didn't feel any benefit, though admittedly I was only on it a short while.
    Everybody's body reacts differently I guess, so if it's working for you, ENJOY!
    And may The Force be with you.
    "Where no rain falls, there no grass grows."
    -Elizabeth Hollister Frost
  • Hi,
    I'm from UK and have just been prescribed Cymbalta for depression, pain and to help me sleep. Have osteoarthritis as well as Fibro and although I am only on a low dose, it does seem to help the sleep issues but not pain or depression. Have no side effects tho and am seeing GP next week to increase the dose, so will see if that helps with the depression and Pain!
  • EMCEEMC Posts: 84
    edited 04/04/2013 - 4:03 AM
    I think when we have chronic pain alot ot meds, treatments and things we do are to alleviate and make things tolerable. I made great strides in PT no matter what I was taking.

It's only my opinion that the med is a tool to help make things tolerable so we can do PT etc.

I took Cymbalta for awhile and noticed a significant difference both while taking it and when I stopped. I stopped taking it because I take Lyrica too and both were just too expensive and frankly Lyrica is my biggest help for my nerve damage/back issues versus Cymbalta which was noticeable throughout my muscles. All the knots started to let me know they were there!

I don't think any med is for the rest of our lives as time goes along things change and so does your bodies needs. Also, we tend to become tolerant to some after needing them for awhile. The depression aspect I think with any other med for that diagnosis it takes 4-6 weeks to even become therapeutic.
    take care
  • did you gain weight on cymbalta? i started taking it and in the first week i found i was constantly eating!
This discussion has been closed.