Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Could this be the start of Sciatica?

gmiller22ggmiller22 Posts: 34
Hi Everyone!

I have been going to the Drs for quite a while now with chronic pain in my neck, shoulders and thoracic area. They did a MRI on my T-spine and it came back negative, I have also had X-rays which show arthritis in my spine and bone spurs but the Dr didn't seem worried about it... his response "at your age that's nothing to worry about" so I guess its just mild. My regular Dr doesn't really know what it is so he is sending me to an Ortho (have an appt soon) In the mean time my Dr put me on 5/500 Vicodin and 10mg 3x daily Flexiral for the past few months.

Recently I have been having this tingling sharp pain from my butt down the back of my thigh almost to my knee and sometimes around my ankle on the top of my foot. It comes and goes but is here more often then gone. It hurts worse when I am sitting, but I have no choice, as I work at a computer. This pain just started about a week ago and wont go away. It sounds like a lot of the symptoms on the forum. Its like a skinny line of tingling sharp shooting pain... If this is Sciatica, is there something I can do to get rid of it before it gets worse or should I inform my Dr at my next appt?

Thanks for any input... :)

• It could be sciatica or it could also be from stenosis, but it most definitely sounds like nerve pain. Any time you get pain shooting out into your limbs, let your doctor know. If your appt. isn't for a couple of weeks, call him/her sooner and let them know. Nerve compression is nothing to mess with and you don't want to risk permanent damage.

Please keep us updated on what happens, ok?

• It does sound like the beginning of something brewing to me. Do a good read on sciatica up in the "conditions" section. They have wonderful information about it. Even so I would let both of your drs know at your next appt. If you are having symptoms of sciatica hopefully they can give you a nerve test to see what's going on. I hate to see anyone go through this. Good luck & let us know how everything is.
  • The leg and foot pain especially when sitting are all symptoms of sciatica. I would really recommend some stretching exercises for the hamstrings and buttocks

I've added a link for a site that has lots of information on this. There are useful articles on the site and you can also sign up for a FREE e-mail mini course. The site specifically relates to sciatica but the information is good for all back pain
  • I have done a little of bit of research, this site is great. The symptoms I was having only lasted about 2-3 weeks. It seems to have went away now, is that normal for Sciatica? The back of my leg feels a little tight but its not tingling or anything any more. I have an appt next week so I will let me Dr know what is going on.

I am still having horrible undiagnosed thoracic pain... wish that was as easy to diagnose as something else, it just feels like I am spending money to be tossed around to Dr to Dr... Sorry for the moment, I get a little down sometimes.

Hope everyone is having a great day! B)