Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any other spineys who grow, can, freeze, preserve your own veggies?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Water Cooler
I'm so busy with canning and freezing veggies from my garden right now and just wondered if anyone else here does the same. So far I've canned green beans, banana peppers, rotel tomatoes and stewed tomatoes, frozen over 14 dozen ears of corn (on and off the cob), bell peppers, lots of okra, and still have a lot more of each to do!! I admit I get overwhelmed at this time of year but especially since it hurts me so much and seems to take me so much longer these days. Still I love it when I'm finished and can just look and see what I've done you know? Anyone else look at a simple can of tomatoes and say "aren't they pretty"? 8}

What have you preserved or plan to preserve from your garden this year?

• We have a garden which is doing great this year. I wish I knew how to can . I esp. love banana peppers. yum. Enjoy your bounty!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    We generally go to the farmers market to get the ones we want. I just grow some eggplant and hot peppers.
    The rest of my garden (99.9% container garden) is devoted to herbs. Right now, we are around 25 different herbs.

We use them nightly, so ones that continue on after the growing season, I will either dry out and use them during the year of freeze them.

Ones that do well with freezing:
    Chives, Lemon Grass, Lemon Balm, Chocolate Mint, other mints, African and Thai Basil

Ones that I dry:
    Oregano and Thyme

Ones that I make something else out of
    Basil - lots of pesto or plain basil oil.

I am still looking for a way to salvage my rosemary bush. My favorite in the garden, about 3 to 4 feet high now. When I brought it in , it died, when I bur lapped it, it died, the best I can do is take a few cuttings from it to start next year over again.

The only thing I did try to freeze/can were some hot spicy dill pickles. I knew I screwed up, because when I opened my first batch, each end of the cucumber turned pickle was soft and mushy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have rosemary, parsley, and basil and no clue what to do with it as far as dying. I have lilac too! My husband grew some tobacoo this year and I was suprised at the pretty flowers on top! Very satisfying watching my cherry tomatos turn red too!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Parsley is so abundant, its better of buying new fresh ones at the supermarket when you need it.

Rosemary takes on a whole different flavor when it is dried. Honestly, I do not like dried rosemary at all. It has a soapy taste. However, fresh its one of the best herbs to cook with

Basil. Also does not freeze well. But I have several solutions. One, I make a lot of pesto and then freeze it in ice cube trays. Then I pop them out and bag them in the freezer. Anytime I want some pesto, I just grab a cube or two. The other way is to just add basil and olive oil together. The freeze it is bags for future use

Just some ideas on what to do with your herbs. I have so many in my garden, I find so many different ways to use them over and over
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My hubby and I use to grow Tarragon, Oregano, Basil and Parsley - and then instead of freezing, I would "insta" dry them on a skillet and grind them up for spices.

They don't do well in South Florida, so we don't do it down here. We even use to sell some of the dried, crushed spices!!

We do dry a lot of our veggies and meats with an air-rater. We use it for meats and fruits and veggies... Does that count?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • with the cost of food rising every day preserving food is a very thrifty way to save money and eat healthier..since i don't eat meat it is even more important to me to eat fruits and vegies... i cut up fresh fruit for smoothies such as strawberries and then freeze them. fruits such as blueberries, blackberries and whatever fresh fruit (not bananas) is available at the time make great smoothies in the morning and can be frozen as well.. i add my psysillium and i am set for the day!! happy harvest!!! Jenny :)
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 06/17/2016 - 1:40 PM
    I have an allotment plot, which for you non-Brits, is a piece of land approx 1/4 acre which we can rent from the local council to grow vegetables.

You see them in every city here. The councils are obliged to provide them at a nominal rent if there is a demand so every piece of land which is not buildings or parks is given over to allotments.

Mine costs me 40 pounds a year and provides nearly all my vegetables. I do freeze some but by and large try to grow for every season so I have fresh stuff all year round.

There is a great spirit on the allotment site. We have a little trading hut which is a great meeting place for plot holders to gossip and exchange ideas as well as buy our seeds etc at a fraction of the price the shops charge and hire rotovators/mowers etc. The hut is open on sunday mornings to members of the public and this helps raise a little extra cash.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde