Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help. Had mri's done, see neurosurgeon Thursday, Asking advice since last post.

candrews922ccandrews922 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hey all,
My new mri's show progression of my ddd at L4-L5, and increased breakdown of L5-S1 which is now also herniated. I have on my result written at L4-L5 a central disc bulge with bilateral facet hypertrophy and ligamentous infolding resulting in moderately severe spinal canal stenosis. Also left lateral recess stenosis. Moderate right and moderately severe left neural foraminal narrowing. L5-S1 has a disc bulge, and within the posterior central aspect of the disc an annular fissure. Stenosis at this level is no significant stenosis. Allrighty then.
Sorry this is so long, but my spine has issues. Now for the cervical. AT C3-C4 is the 1st issue on the left of hypertrophy a mild foraminal stenosis. Next at C4-C5 posterior bone spur which indents the ventral aspect of the thecal sac. Bilateral facet hypertrophy greater on left resulting in mild bilateral foraminal stenosis. Now at C5-C6 posterior bone spur indents ventral aspect thecal sac.right facet hypertrophy resulting in severe stenosis of the foraminal opening. AT C6-C7 don't know if these are all different spurs or just one really big one. but there is a posterior disc osteophyte which is eccentric to the right and indents the ventral aspect of the thecal sac. Right hypertrophy with a probable herniation resulting in at least moderate right foraminal narrowing.

Okay. My arms and hands are having increased symptoms of shaking, tremors, and weakness. Right side is worse. Burning, itching, and numbness primarily in the hands. Have had aching from back of shoulder down arms to hands. My legs are also shaking alot during certain movements. Can't walk any distance without becoming uncoordinated. Legs feel heavy and clumsy. Walk like I have some kind of palsy.

How do you know if you have nerve damage that is permenant or temporary. I have read that paralysis is rare if L4-L5 is the place of impingement. Yet my symptoms seem progressive to me. Scared to death of surgery. Don't want any hardware. What do you think my options will be? If pressure is being applied to the sac containing your spinal fluid, does that cause an issue? My regular doc has not addressed my pain, unless it has involved taking non-narcotic meds. So I will have to ask the neuro to please address it. I have had injections that did nothing but give me more pain by causing my muscles to go into total charlie horse spasm. Where most of the time they are just really tight and tender to the touch. My groin muscles spasm like a groin pull pretty easily if my leg steps off dead center at all. If my right legs leans to the outside or inside my groin feels like I just did a groin pull like sliding into base or something. Major owee that hurts for awhile. Pretty depressed right now. HELP HELP HELP

• hello my name i ray i had alif on my l5-l6 got extra .that why i saying l6 ,i had the shaking and weaknes and heavy leg also,after surgery every thing inproved 40 percent ide say.now i went had a milagram with contrast last week ,because im back having problems hurting from my hips to the bottom of my feet,real bad pain in my left leg and both feet and lower back again,,milagram hows some time after my surgery that my fuion is cracked and looks like a bone spur has brock and flipped around in to my nerve canal.so every thing i was telling them make's since now,where i was hurting and started hurting.whole time they kept saying my nerve healing and wake back up was my problem..but after my alif jan4 2011 shaking and heavy legs feeling was better,
    surgery will help im sure it did me and i got multi problems also..hes going back in to do a decompressing and rods was what im told waiting on the date ..gl hope every thing turn out fine for you,,alif l5-l6 jan 4 2011
  • Did your Neurologist do an EMG yet to see if a nerve is being compressed in your arms or leg yet. I would also find a Orthosurgeon or Neurosurgeon to see what their treatment plan is and can let you know if it`s necessary to have surgery. Get more than one opinion and hope you can find a Dr. to help soon.

I have nerve compression in my leg and foot but apparently no Dr. thinks I need surgery but this was seen on the nerve test.

Usually they get you to do Physiotherapy and injections before surgery but that would be up to a Surgeon to decide. Do you take any nerve pain meds like Cymbalta or Lyrica or Amitriptyline. I hope you find some answers soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN