Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unbelievable - Never done that before...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, this is a first in the stupidity with meds category for me. I have some mountain property I keep a 5th wheel on and go up on weekends during the summer. Last Wed when I went, I got up in the middle of the night and was just dying. Could hardly walk, fingers were swollen and hurting. I opened my meds over the bathroom sink (these new meds a teeny tiny little green pills that disolve real fast when wet). Someone messed up the standard plug in my trailer sink so it is a hole about 2 inches round now with a plug that goes in it until I bring it home this fall and fix it. Well, I finally got the lid off the bottle and dropped the whole enchilada in the sink! Every one of those little teeny green pills went right down the ole shithole. That was awesome! I had another bottle of them with enough for a few days to tied me over up there but then when I got home I had to make a call that scared the hell out of me. My PM doc. God I dreaded that, I knew for sure she'd think I was full of BS and tell me to stick it, then I didn't know what I'd do for the next two weeks till I see her again - you can't imagine the horrifying thoughts running thru my head. Well, I finally got my balls together and called yesterday. (Had to take the day off work cuz I was ready to die). I had one pill left for yesterday morning and that was it. Anyway, amazingly, her nurse called me back, was really nice and called me in something different to tied me over. She just said well, we can't call you in the same thing for some reason so it has to be a lortab or percocett, which they did. I was teary eyed I was so damn relieved. I guess I won't be putting my meds in the medicine cabinet in my trailer anymore. Since it's just me and nobody else uses my trailer, I figure their safe there as anywhere else. Safe from everyone but me apparantely. Anybody else ever pulled a move like that? Just curious and if so were you shi$$ing your pants wondering what you were gonna do now??!!

• So glad to hear that it went well with talking to the nurse/DR. and they are helping you out until your next visit...

I can't say this has ever happened to me...but more so because I have my medicine in those 7 day a week/ 4 times a day pill holder/dispenser and my last pill is at 7pm until 5am the next morning...So I never take my entire bottle anywhere unless I am gone for an entire month. The other reason I never just have my whole bottle open in the bathroom is that my dog follows me around everywhere...and I am terrified of dropping even just one that he could swallow up quickly..And believe me..my dog thinks everything is food! LOL..

But I can totally empathize...especially as it was in the middle of the night for you and that is fuzzy time...LOL

Again..it's great that you share this story though to help others and I think because you have been a good patient (as in..not someone who calls in with lost pills all the time..or early refills every month) so they trust you..

Hope that this medicine will at least hold you over fairly well...it may be a little rough if it's less strength..but better than nothing, right?

Hugs to you Mouse!!
  • Marion,

I dropped some Aspirin down the drain years ago, and because of that little episode, I've always had fears of pills near sinks! (G)

I could easily see me dropping all mine down the drain! So glad your PM was understanding - who knows, maybe she did that once herself! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Marion, so happy you got your meds. So scarey, when we`re faced with the unknown! Alot of the time people are treated guilty, because of a few that really are guilty!!! Good for you. There is still some fairness in this world.
  • I have two of them, like what LovetoTravel mentioned. They hold a week's worth, with 4 slots per day. Maybe one of those would be a good idea to take with you? glad to hear the pm got your something else to get through to your next appointment.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Marion, I am so glad that you were able to get some more pain medication. While I have never dropped any down the sink, I have had them drop on the floor spilling out all over. Just like lovetotravel I have two dogs that are always nearby, so that freaked me out.
    Definately going to check out the dossetts for my meds.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Normally, I have a small safe that travels with me and I keep in a bedroom closet of the trailer but since it was just me and I wasn't sure how long I was staying - I just took the whole bottle. I think if it had been lortab I could have salvaged some, but these things are teeny and the bottle is 1/4 size of what the lortab bottle used to be and it's still only half full. Scary! I think I will invest in a pill box like that and also keep them in my nightstand in the bedroom. I get pretty goofy when I take the gabepentan at night and that would probably be a better plan. I learned!!!
  • I like them, especially with taking multiple meds throughout the day, no opening several bottles at once, so much easier! And, it helps with keeping track of what you took. The slots are marked Morning, Noon, Evening and Night. So you always know that you took your last dose.
  • Also..I keep my generic Ambien in a totally separate place (across the room) and different pill dispenser since that pill looks almosst identical to my generic OxyIR...

I also have a mini calendar that I cross out the date when I take my one Ambien at night..I started doing this as sometimes when I take that medicine...it makes me not think very clearly...and there was an evening that I couldn't remember if I took the Ambien already...

Well..I ended up not taking it that night and didn't
    get any sleep...but I would never take another tablet as that would double the dose and be very dangerous...So I now have the system that works very well that I can see that the pill is gone from the dispenser as well as the date scratched off..

So..yea for those dispensers!! LOL
  • Just curious were all your surgeries done through the same incision? Do you or anyone have any suggestions for healing the surgical scar? I've been using cocoa butter. I had a bad rash and itching on my neck from mederma.
  • If the incision isn't properly healed yet, you shouldn't be using anything on it, as it can cause infection. If it is properly healed, Bio Oil works really well with diminishing the scar. If the incision is quite thin, you shouldn't have to worry about it, my first one is practically invisible now, and my 2nd one from Jun is not very noticeable either, even at 2 months.
This discussion has been closed.