Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF with or without plate?

theokoyettheokoye Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and needing some input. I am going to schedule an ACDF procedure for herniated disc at c6-c7 but my dilemna is to have a plate installed or not. Can anyone give me feedback on experience or data to aid in my decision?

Thank you

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    I encourage you to go over our FAQ's and to take a look at all the medical articles/videos that the main site provides.

The decision regarding a plate I believe is going to reside with your surgeon. I had my first ACDF in 1994 C4/C5 and there was no plate, just fused bone taken from my hip. In 2000, I had another ACDF , this time C5/C6. Again I had a fused bone chip from my hip, but because of the multi level fusion, for stability the put in a titanium plate with screws.

But then again that was over 20 years ago, so I am not sure how the doctors proceed today regarding plates.

Talk it over with your doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Dilauro,

Thanks for getting back to me. My surgeon said the option of a plate is entirely up to me. He has great outcomes with or without and depends on if I want to added stability of the plate. My graft will be coming from donor bone although he said he would take bone from my hip but that was a painful recovery. I will check out the FAQ's and videos as suggested and still look forward to personal opinions.

Thanks again
  • The only question I would ask is how does the graft stay in place. Is he wedging it in place? Also is he having his patients wear a collar or brace for a extended period of time, to aid in keeping the neck still, following surgery?
  • I was not given an option and I have a plate. I think I would have chosen the plate. I don't feel it in there at all. Plus I did not have to wear a hard collar after surgery. I am allergic to a lot of things, but haven't had a reaction to the plate.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Tamtam,

My surgeon recommended a soft collar for approx one month post surgery if no plate is used.
  • My NS only does surg with instrumentation. I had no collar and I feel very stable.
    C5-6 ACDF 9-2011
    C4-5 ACDF 11-2014