Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results

magicrat76mmagicrat76 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Can anyone help me make sense of this?

minor multilevel spondylitic changes and diffuse cervical disc degenerative changes:
prominent disc and associated central spondylitic changes at 5/6 and 6/7 with
significant canal narrowing, no CSF remaining surrounding the cord and mild cord
deformity. No intrinsic CNS abnormalities or significant additional paraspinal
abnormalities are evedent. Mild diffused spondylosis is present at 4/5 w/ mild to
moderate right foraminal narrowing; more minor change

What are the best and worse case scenarios here? I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon in the next few days, but I am impatient. Any help would be great.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    In fact, we can not provide any medical advice. There are no trained and qualified members on this site to do this. At our best, we can provide personal insight based on our own experiences.

The way I have always looked at MRI reports is the key words. They are basically 3:

Mild - Ok, probably Physical Therapy and some medications should help

Moderate - Probably more medications and other conservative treatments.

Severe - The word means what it says.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I know its hard to be patient, but I would wait for your appointment for an interpretation. MRI results have to be correlated to symptoms and physical examination to be meaningful.

We're not doctors here. Based on my experience,
    from what I understand, you have some arthritic changes, disc degeneration and a narrowing of the spinal canal, and it doesn't sound to me like you have compression of the spinal cord. But that's where your symptoms and exam are also important determinants.

In general, the best case is you can be helped by conservative treatments, and the worst case, if you are in severe distress would be surgery. Usually conservative treatments are tried first.

Let us know what your doctor says.

• Hi magicrat, Us guessing at the mri result would be just that guessing. Only the dr you will be seeing can realy give you details of what he makes of it. Even dr,s will have diferent opinions with the same mri. Mri is way to complicated for it shows a lot sometimes and it means nothing at times of is that realy is the cause of the pain. Unless its real obvious.

I think almost everyone with age will have something showing in there mri even if they never had pain in there life from it. Good luck let us know what dr says. Once they conclude what your issue is then we can help more for i am sure we have some here with same issue and they can tell you what they had done for it.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I just read Dilauro's post, and I just want to emphasize that what I said is not a medical opinion. I'm just someone who has been around the block with this like others here.
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Look in the FAQ section at the top of the page, and you will find a link to 38 questions to ask a surgeon. I would use that link to make a list of questions for the surgeon, one in the event he/she says you need surgery and one list in the event they say surgery is not needed. But you want to be prepared for that appointment, and ready to discuss you symptoms and treatment options. In that same section is a link to preparing to meet with a surgeon, that you might find helpful. You might also want to make a list of your symptoms listing them in primary and secondary symptoms.

The surgeon will examine you and take his clinical findings and put them together with the Mri findings. They may also additional test such as emg studies or blocks to confirm the findings.

Once you find out a treatment program there are many of including myself whom have had all the treatment to include fusion and we can explain what those things are, if you have any questions. Good luck and keep us posted.