Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another question........

graciegirlggraciegirl Posts: 249
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
When we all speak of pain; mild, moderate, severe, etc..... are we speaking on meds or not on meds?

Just wondering? It could influence my decision, hm?

Thanks again.

Hope I'm not driving you all crazy! lol.

I am going to end up with a doctorate yet!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    That is a very good question.

It can really depend on the patient. For chronic pain sufferers, it would mean the pain level you are feeling while you are on medications.

For newer patients to pain < 1 year, they may be talking about pain levels without medications.

I've been on narcotics probably for the best part of the last 20 years. So, when I talk to medical professionals they always take that into account when talking pain levels. The only time that seems to differ is with acute pain. The chronic pain I can handle, its those acute tooth pulls, root canals, dislocations, etc that seem so difficult to deal with.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks Ron!

I have had chronic pain for about 20 years also but not always on narcotics, just now and then and for the most part infrequently. I have tried just about everything, however, and have remained on cymbalta,(til fairly recent) and herbals,(Curumin, Boswelia,etc.) which seemed to help for awhile some for the chronic issues and always some form of n'saids. I also did numerous other things like sauna(everyday) exercise, massage and mind/brain stuff. This 4 month nerve pain is unerving though and different than the other chronic pain i am used to. Just am trying to figure out if I am just getting older, worse or dealing with more than I think. I did have knee surgery but the pain before and after were nothing like what i am dealing with now or maybe after surgery. I really thank you and the rest of you for your trying to help me.

Do you think meds to stall surgery are a good enuf answer after 4 months of this? I am really hesittant to go off what i am on now to find out. This stuff is not for the weak in body or in mind!

Best Regards,
  • The question is not having surgery will it cause any permanent damage or paralysis? Or the other situation is when meds don't help enough to bring the pain to a tolerable level. If your taking medications and they are helping and the above doesn't apply, then you can take the conservative route and wait and see. There are many here including myself that meds before surgery where like a sugar pill, and do nothing, and the risk of permanent damage was high. In the end I have finished with permanent nerve damage, which is really no picnic at all.
  • Tam tam,

Thank you for your answer. If i may ask, do you think you waited too long? I'm so sorry to hear you have permanent damage. I am pretty sure i may have also. I still am hopeful though. Sorry to hear what you have to endure.

tomorrow that will be one of my main questions. I was in quite a bit of pain and don't remember all that he told me from the first visit. i will have someone taking notes for me tomorrow.

Thanks, Gracie

• Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I'm glad you're going to have someone take notes. It seems like there's a fine line between not needing surgery and permanent damage being done. I was told for years that I was not "surgical" and then I had the radiating pain that quickly got worse and the surgeons were telling me I needed the surgery sooner than later. Sometimes it seems like a crap shoot, but for me, the idea that the surgery would keep it from getting worse, even if it didn't make it better, was worth it.

Let us know how it goes.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Wanted to wish you all the best at your appointment tomorrow. Happy to see that you are bringing someone with you, this is always a good idea, as well as writing down any questions you want to ask.

Great question about pain meds and pain levels. I know for myself, I now answer that question based on how I feel with pain meds, as I am on ER meds as well as IR so constantly have medication in my system. I believe as Ron said, when your physician knows that you are taking meds consistantly they will take that fact into consideration. If you only take meds on an as needed basis ( with a flare up,or a new injury)and not an every day thing, then he would also take that into account.

All the best tomorrow, let us know how it goes

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks ouch, karen and everybody.

We are on the road.

The ole neck is gonna like this.

Have a good day. Fingers crossed for all of us.

• I'm just back from holiday and trying to catch up with new posts, and found yours.

How did you get on at your appointment?