Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta and Anxiety

I have had lower back pain and sciatica pain done both legs for about three years. In January, I was involved in a roll-over car accident. Shortly afterwards, I also placed on Cymbalta for my leg and lower pack pain which worked fairly good. About a month later, I started to develop anxiety pain in my chest, left cheek and forehead. While Cymbalta had worked fairly well sciatica and back pain, it has done nothing for my anxiety pain. To combat the anxiety, I was changed off of Cymbalta to Zoloft. Zoloft is working fairly good for my anxiety, however, my leg and back pain has increased being off of Cymbalta.

This brings to be my question. I would like to go back on Cymbalta to help with my back and leg pain. Are there any other options I can take for anxiety along with taking Cymbalta at the same time?

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. AS far as the medication question the best place to discuss that is with your doctor, as none of us are aware of your medical situation. With that said there are other meds like lyrica and nuerontin that can be used. They can also be used with one of the antidepressant meds. I would ask your prescribing doctor the same question as you asked here and explain how it is working for you, and I am sure they can find a mix. Keep in mind it often takes some working to get to the right combinations of meds.
  • Thanks for the information! I am already on Lyrica which helps somewhat. Is it common to have sciatica pain and anxiety at the same time? It seems like it you have both there are many medications that treat one or the other fairly well, but not both. And, if you are taking medidice for one, you can not take medicine for the other as they cause interactions.

I am also meeting with the pain management doc on the 24th so I will let you know how that goes as well.
  • avengernihao said:
    It seems like it you have both there are many medications that treat one or the other fairly well, but not both. And, if you are taking medidice for one, you can not take medicine for the other as they cause interactions.
    As they are two different entities entirely, one being physical (the sciatica) and the other being psychological (the anxiety) there aren't many meds that would treat both simultaneously. There are a couple of anti-depressant has been found to help with pain, like Cymbalta and the older tricyclic anti-depressants such as amitriptyline, etc, it's not the norm.

You can absolutely take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds along with pain meds. I've been on all 3 types for 3 years now (I suffer from PTSD, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, depression and of course, my pain which is both nerve and mechanical). I actually take Cymbalta for my anxiety/depression (has worked great for me), a benzodiazepine as required for acute anxiety attacks, and the pain meds, both non-narcotic and narcotic.

As tamtam said, it is best to discuss the options with your doctor, to find out which would be the best for you. Good luck at your appointment.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own