Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need held please!

mayo1mmayo1 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had spine surgery 6 months ago. Everything went well. Early fusion at 3 months. Now my brother needs spine surgery and he asked me to go with him to his first consultation with the Neuro Surgeon. He has same problems I had plus spondylolesthesis on L5-S1. He is not going to the same Dr I had as it would require travel.

The Dr said he wants to go in from the front for a 3-4 hour surgery and then do a second surgery the next day for another 3-4 hour surgery. Then he will be in ICU for a couple of days fr a total hospital stay of 5 - 6 days.

When I had my surgery it was all done during one surgery, 7 hours. Has anyone heard of 2 surgeries a day apart? I am very concerned for him. He is trusting me to give good advice. I want him to get another opinion for sure.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Mayo,

I am pending surgery for my upper lumbar, and yes, 2 surgeries are NOT uncommon. Your body goes through a LOT of stress, so they at times split the posterior with the anterior work. The time line in the hospital also matches what I was told.

It is dependent on the type of surgery they need to do....

It is so nice to see you are working with your brother as an advocate. Bravo to you sir!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • If you had good results with your dr then that would be a good reason for him to posibly see the same dr instead of taking a risk with another dr. Even if it means travel i would think. How far would he have to travel?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi,
    Among my many surgeries, the anterior/posterior cervical fusion of C5-C7 was also split with a day to rest in between the surgeries. Dr said it's too much trauma to do in one day..and I was in the hospital for 6 days total.
    Best wishes to your brother, and let us know how he makes out!
  • Thanks for the replies. At least now I know that 2 surgery's are common.

I have recommended my Neurosurgeon to him. It would involve a 2 hour flight. He might go to him for a 2nd opinion but he would prefer not to travel for the surgery.

• Hi Mayo!

What a great support/sister you are!

I had the 2 surgeries done in the same day and man is it rough on your body! I needed 3 blood transfusions and developed pneumonia and pleuricy. It also caused a post surgery hypothroidism.......

I was in the hospital for a week. I wasn't given the choice to split up the surgeries but I should would have liked to splint them up and give my body a chance to rest.

Wishing you and your brother the very best! Keep us posted on how he is doing!
  • definitely 2 session of surgeries is not common as what I've heard and it also depends on the technique and strategy of the surgery goes.

Post edited to remove URL. Solicitation is not permitted at Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 08/18/11
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    In my case I was actually split over 3 days. So yes it happens. All depends on what all needs to be done.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!