Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain

Jewel2005JJewel2005 Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anyone find that massage actually hurts when you have disc hernation possible due to nerve pain? I can't stand massage on certain areas of my shoulders. It doesn't help but hurts more.

• Massage and me do NOT get along. There are parts of my spine that when 'touched' or 'pressed' send me to the moon in the pain side of the house!

I guess for me, it depends on which levels they hit, but my neck is a no massage zone, and the lower thoracic, and most of my lumbar. If my hubby hugs me wrong, I am in tears, so yes, I think and feel massage can make you move into a world of hurt - to include 'nerve pain' hurt.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am lower back surgery but massage always helps. The muscles are tight all the way in to shoulders and shoulder might be more sensative but thats because nerves are over active from all the pain and stiffness but once you break up that stiffness it usualy helps
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Massage can definitely make things "worse" so to speak but my therapist is that good and she just goes with the flow. Last week I couldn't stand to have my arm or neck massaged so she went elsewhere on my body and it did relax me a little by the time my session was up. I sat up and she rubbed my low back which was grateful. Ya gotta try ANYTHING to see if it helps when the pain is bad. Any comments on acupuncture? It's about the only thing I haven't tried.

ps This is my first post here. I have been to the other forums,(new member and cervical pain.) This is a good place to come to and thank you all for being here. Sorry about your pain.

Waiting on surgery for now. Still in moderate to severe pain.
  • Acupuncture does not hurt, but sometimes when the needles are placed deep into the muscles it might hurt initially. If you find an acupuncturist that applies trigger point dry needling technique than it's just as good as getting a massage. Trigger points are essentially the knots that you have in your muscles.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Yes, massage hurts me. But my therapist does some light massage work on the spasms in my traps, it hurts, but it does help with them, so I take it. I would say if it isn't helping you, then why continue? Does your pt think it's beneficial and is helping?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Accupuncture is okay. It works for me at times.
  • I have some areas that actually hurt on my back, mostly my left shoulder blade. Thought massage helps on the rest of my back. My PT is good, she is very helpful and does the massage lightly. But it's just strange because before I had an injury to my neck I loved having my shoulders and neck massaged. I am getting use to having nerve pain and having to be careful with the way I am massaged now.
  • Hello Numbscull,

Nice to meet you. My massage therapist only works on pain peeps. She will work into my pain as well and at times i can persevere and other times can't. Depends on hoe bad the acute phase.

I agree Jewel, you have to "know" your therapist and trust her and what she can or can't do to help. I used to love any massage but with nerve pain you can only go so far on many days.

Have a good evening and sleep.

• Post Deleted. Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 08/23/11
  • Is there a way to prevent spine health problems in long dogs when they are young?

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Numbskull
  • Acupuncture was moderately helpful to my son who has severe lower back pain, but he developed a huge aversion to needles and we had to stop going. However,the unexpected bonus was that he now has no seasonal allergies. His acupuncturist said that he would be able to treat his allergies in addition to the back pain. We didn't really believe that this was possible - 2 years have gone by and no allergies!
    I would recommend trying acupuncture, but find a really good professional. Ours just happened to be an MD from China who was also an acupuncturist. He was amazing - brilliant and kind.
This discussion has been closed.